This strategic and resourceful position will further advance and transform the Town of Chapel Hill’s commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI), internally and externally. The position will collaborate with Town leadership and community stakeholders to direct, coordinate, and implement programs and activities designed to establish DEI as a shared value across the organization and throughout the community to achieve equitable opportunities for all Town employees and residents.
This position will develop, maintain, and improve community relations between the Town and external stakeholders. The position’s strategic goal is advancing equity for the Town of Chapel Hill, with racial and social equity as its top priorities. As a municipal government, Chapel Hill can serve a unique role toward maximizing the access and opportunities that all people must satisfy essential needs, advance their well-being and achieve their full potential. Additionally, it will recommend and administer policies and procedures that are non-discriminatory and improve inter-group relations within Town staff and in the community. Work is performed under the limited supervision of the Town Manager or their designee.
• The ideal candidate for the position will be an inspiring, collaborative, courageous, innovative, and visionary leader with outstanding people and management skills.
• The candidate will have direct and effective experience in organizational transformation with a specific emphasis on crafting and developing equity initiatives and facilitating collaborative and inclusive working environments.
• The successful candidate will have a demonstrated 'track record' working closely with key community stakeholders and be both community engagement oriented and politically astute - yet apolitical - with a high level of cultural competencies.
• The successful candidate will possess excellent oral and written communication skills and be quick to understand how the Town functions and the role of equity and inclusion within the Town.
• The individual will be engaging and charismatic, as well as a data oriented and outcome driven problem solver with an explicit commitment to advancing equity and social justice solutions.