|UK with SOLACE
|Canada with CAMA
|Middle and Low-income Countries
|Local government intern
|Student members of a student chapter
These featured benefits are included with an ICMA membership:
|Products & Services
|Receive unlimited 1-on-1 coaching with ICMA CoachConnect
|Participate in member only online discussions with ICMA Connect
|Receive a print and digital subscription to PM Magazine
|Buy professional development courses in the ICMA University
"Why ICMA? It’s an international world; international thinking is part of our job today. I belong to ICMA because it is the predominant local government organization in the world supported by an engaged membership and excellent administration. It is a great gathering place for city managers interested in lifelong learning and building our profession."
- Simon Farbrother, Alberta, Canada
"ICMA offers significant strategic value to Canadian CAOs and City Managers as a companion to our world class CAMA organization. The CAMA mission statement is to champion excellence in municipal administration through professional development, networking, and advocacy. There is a natural collaboration between CAMA and ICMA that has a mission to create excellence in local government. CAMA provides our members with a Canadian specific agenda tailored to our governance framework but augments this with rich content from ICMA to enable problem-solving, wayfinding and innovations from around the globe that we can use for our own community challenges."
- Tim Anderson, P.Eng., Chief Administrative Officer, Waterloo, Ontario
"Being an international member of ICMA has greatly improved my grasp of professional management issues. Seeing how colleagues in the U.S. and other countries work to improve community outcomes in their localities is a healthy corrective for me to devise local solutions to local problems and challenges. In this way, internationalism is a counterbalance to the inevitable pressures for parochialism - even in London!"
-Barry J. Quirk, Chief Executive, London Borough of Lewisham
How to Join or Renew
Complete your online application to join ICMA. In most cases, your online membership application will be processed within moments so that you can begin enjoying member benefits immediately.
If you have any problems using the online application, please refresh the cache of your browser.
Processing of memberships by mail typically take up to two to three weeks to establish.
- Downloadable the membership application (PDF)
- Mail application and check to:
P.O. Box 79403, Baltimore, MD 21279-0403
Do you have questions about membership with ICMA?
Other membership information
- Membership will not be established without dues payment in full.
- All payments must be made in U.S. currency.
- Purchase orders are not considered payment. ICMA recognizes that many employers require a signed purchase order to process payment. Send purchase orders to ICMA for signature.
- Membership may not be transferred from one person to another. ICMA is a professional association and ICMA membership belongs to the individual, not the employer.
- ICMA will not provide a dues refund if a member leaves current employment; membership travels with the individual to his or her next position.