The City of Frankfort seeks a visionary leader to be its next City Manager. The ideal candidate will be a results-driven strategic thinker with exceptional financial management skills, a strong customer service focus, and a commitment to the community.
Frankfort is the capital city of Kentucky, nestled between Louisville and Lexington along the Kentucky River and in the heart of Kentucky’s scenic bourbon, horse and wine country. The City boasts a plethora of historical sites, eclectic shops and restaurants, extensive parks and trails and a full selection of cultural and arts amenities. Frankfort is a beautiful, welcoming city known for its hospitality and its Kentucky River heritage. Our city is forward-moving, with an energetic eye on the future. The City of Frankfort is embarking upon several large, transformative community projects that will bring vibrancy and life to this historical city. With a newly seated, energetic Board of Commissioners and an actively involved community, Frankfort is poised for greatness.
The City is home to approximately 27,000 residents and this number swells to about 40,000 during the business day. Public Administration is the City’s largest industry, accounting for 28% of the City’s employed workforce. Frankfort is a home rule city operating under the City Manager form of government. The Mayor and the City’s four Commissioners, who are elected at large, constitute the Board of Commissioners. The Board appoints a City Manager who acts as the chief administrative officer for the City, overseeing the day-to-day operations of the City, which includes a full array of municipal services. Approximately 290 full-time employees and 60 to 250 seasonal or part-time employees, depending upon the time of the year, fulfill those services. The FY 2020-21 anticipated revenue totals approximately $34,500,000.
• Working with the management team, plans, organizes, coordinates, and maintains management over the day-to-day administration of the city.
• Attend and coordinate all meetings of the Board of Commissioners.
• Makes recommendations to the Board of Commissioners as deemed necessary or expedient.
• Perform the City Manager duties prescribed in KRS 83A.150(7)(a) through (h).
• Identifies future needs, and plans appropriately for short and long term goals and objectives.
• Maintains and strengthens relationships with partner agencies.
• Meets with citizens and citizen groups to discuss their issues and concerns.
• Maintains a positive relationship with citizens, Board of Commissioners, and employees.
• Interprets and administers Board policy.
• Administers employee disciplinary actions, or makes recommendations to the Board as needed.
• Creates and submits reports as required.
• Monitors the revenues and expenditures on an ongoing basis, and advises the Commission on the financial condition of the City.
• Directs and participates in the preparation and administration of the City budget.
• Recommends to the Board of Commissioners the appointment of employees.
• Assists in planning the development of physical and human resources.
• Maintains liaison with various federal, state, and local agencies.
• Assists the Mayor and Commissioners in performing public relations duties, including interacting with the media.
• An effective advocate for the City
• Establishes realistic budget plans and demonstrates fiscal accountability.
• Manages resources to maximize efficiency and effectiveness; recognizes and effectively leverages employee’s skills and abilities.
• Supports a positive team environment in which employees participate, respect and cooperate with each other to achieve desired results.
• Ability to work cooperatively with people of diverse cultural identities.
• Maintains a respectful, diverse and inclusive work environment where decisions and transactions are transparent and objective
• Redevelopment (downtown and residential)
• Intergovernmental and community relations
• Economic development including downtown and neighborhood redevelopment
• Working knowledge and appreciation of Information Technology
• Working knowledge of grant writing
• Knowledge of state legislative process
• Understands Public Safety
• Diplomatically persuasive
• Provides clear directions and expectations and manages for successful outcomes
• Easily accessible – open door policy
• Listens and is open to new ideas
• Engaged; attends civic and community meetings
• Visible; attends community events
• Active and collaborative involvement
• Requires a combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration or similar field (Master's degree and ICMA credentialing are preferred qualifications), and at least 5 years of increasingly responsible local government management experience gained in a community with similar complexity to Frankfort.
• Preference for budget experience of $20 million or more and a portfolio demonstrating ability to secure funding for varied projects.
• Membership in the Internal City/County Management Association preferred.
• The successful candidate will be politically astute, have exceptional interpersonal skills and enjoy community involvement. He or she should possess superior management, decision-making, and leadership abilities.
• An equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge and skills may also be considered.
Compensation and Benefits:
Employees receive a comprehensive benefits package including pension benefits, medical, dental, vision, life, disability insurance, paid vacation and sick leave, 401(k) and 457 options with an employer match, and car allowance. The salary for the position is negotiable based on qualifications and experience. Residency within the City of Frankfort is strongly preferred. The City will provide relocation assistance.
Please note that satisfactory completion of a drug test, background check, and credit check is a condition of employment.
The City of Frankfort is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Values Diversity.