La Mesa is centrally located in the rolling hills of eastern San Diego County with tree-lined streets, walkable neighborhoods, easy access to retail and commercial areas, and a quaint downtown village. It is home to approximately 60,000 residents and spans nine square miles. This full-service city is over 100 years old, and is home to several historical landmarks.
The La Mesa City Council is searching for a dynamic collaborative leader with demonstrated public service skills. The ideal candidate will possess excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to understand and anticipate the ramifications of decision making in a small town environment. The candidate should be an enthusiastic individual skilled at implementing policy direction from the City Council. The candidate should also be an effective communicator and experienced negotiator.
Education: Equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in public administration, business administration, planning, or a field related to the operations of a municipal government department. A Master’s degree in public administration or a related field is highly desirable.
Experience: Experience as a City Manager, Assistant City Manager or department head is preferred, however a proven leader with relevant other experience will be considered. California experience is preferred, but not required. Ten (10) years of increasingly responsible administrative or management experience in local government or equivalent that includes five (5) years of executive level management experience required. Experience working with elected officials is preferred.
Salary & Benefits: The salary for this position is established by the City Council and will be dependent on qualifications of the candidate. In addition, the City offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package:
• Cafeteria benefits plan with City contributions for the purchase of health, dental, and vision benefits for purchase of health, dental, and vision benefits for employee and dependents
• California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS): Depending on eligibility based on CalPERS criteria, Classic members receive 2.5% @ 55 formula and single highest year salary calculation. Non-Classic CalPERS members receive 2% @ 62 formula and three-year final average calculation.
• Employees are required to pay into Social Security and Medicare.
• Management car allowance.
• 80 hours of administrative leave per calendar year.
• 9/80 work schedule (alternate Fridays closed).
• Tuition reimbursement of up to $2,000/fiscal year and computer-purchase loan programs.
• Generous vacation, sick leave, administrative leave and paid holiday leave program.
• Optional flexible spending accounts for medical, dental, and vision expenses; and dependent care expenses.
• Vacation buy back and unused sick leave conversion programs.
• City-paid EAP program for employee and dependents.
• City-paid term life insurance equivalent to annual salary, plus an additional $25,000 policy. Supplemental life insurance available at the City's group rate.
• City contribution towards employee's Section 457 deferred compensation plan.
• City-paid long-term disability coverage.
APPLY IMMEDIATELY: This recruitment closes at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, December 13, 2019. Electronic submittals are preferred and should be emailed to Human Resources/Risk Manager Rida Freeman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Application packets should include a cover letter, comprehensive resume, and five professional references. Applicants with the most relevant qualifications will be invited to a panel screening interview on Thursday, January 16, 2020. A select number of candidates will then be invited for an on-site interview with the Mayor and City Council on Friday, January 17, 2020, with selection interviews for the finalists conducted by the Mayor and City Council on Saturday, January 18, 2020. Confidential inquiries welcomed to Rida Freeman at 619-667-1179. A detailed brochure can be found on the city website at www.cityoflamesa.us.