Among nearly $2 trillion in economic stimulus, the American Rescue Plan Act included more than $130 billion in direct, flexible aid to local governments. This once-in-a-generation influx of dollars provides a unique opportunity for local governments to address revenue shortfalls caused by the COVID-19 pandemic and strategically invest in the future. ICMA has curated a list of resources to help local governments understand and make use of American Rescue Plan support.
- Budgeting for Big Swings: Resource Optimization and The American Rescue Plan (6/29 webinar)
- Relief for Small Cities: Accessing American Rescue Plan Funds for Non-Entitlement Local Governments (6/4 webinar)
- Relief Has Arrived: The Latest Guidance on Using Recovery Funds from the American Rescue Plan (5/17 webinar)
- Treasury Releases Guidance on American Rescue Plan and Opens Portal
- Treasury Updates Pre-Award Rescue Plan Requirements
- To the Rescue: How the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 Can Help Your Locality Recover & Rebuild (3/24 webinar)
Rescue Plan Funding Opportunities
- Government Finance Officers Association member Revenue Replacement Calculator
- Department of Treasury ARP Local Fiscal Recovery Funds information portal
- National League of Cities summary of American Rescue Plan Act provisions
- Summary of state and local funding sources by Nowak Lab at Drexel University (link to Excel spreadsheet)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Submit comments on the Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds Interim Final Rule directly to the Department of Treasury through July 16
- Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds (Government Finance Officers Association):
- Local Fiscal Recovery Funds Frequently Asked Questions (National League of Cities, primarily oriented to municipalities)
- Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds Frequently Asked Questions (Department of Treasury)
- Emergency Rental Assistance Frequently Asked Questions
Have a specific question about American Recovery Act implementation? Submit questions using the form found at the bottom of this page under "Submit a question on the American Rescue Act."
Additional COVID-19 Relief & Recovery Resources
- HOW LOCAL GOVERNMENTS HAVE USED FEDERAL FUNDING
How Funding From the CARES ACT Helps Those in Greatest Need
- Adams County, Colorado, provides funds to school districts, fire districts, and public health and response and recovery needs.
- Clear Creek County, Colorado, provides a lifeline to businesses and individuals in dire need.
- Dubuque, Iowa, provides assistance for food, rent, mortgage and utilities.
- Mankato, Minnesota's partnership to support virtual school.
- Montgomery County, Maryland's COVID Corps Youth help their community.
- Local Governments Help Small Businesses Reopen
- FEMA RELIEF & COST TRACKING
These documents will help your local government track costs related to the coronavirus crisis or other federally declared disasters.
- ICMA ADVOCACY
ICMA has advocated at the federal level on behalf of local governments throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, including pushing for direct, flexible funding.
Submit a question on the American Rescue Act