OPEN DATE: May 4, 2020
CLOSE DATE: June 1, 2020
*The first review of completed applicants will be May 18, 2020.
POSITION: DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
SALARY: [Executive Position Min–Max Range] $93,073 - $148,913 / Year
The City of Unalaska is located in the number one commercial fishing port in the United States, the International Port of Dutch Harbor. Unalaska, Alaska is a coastal community located in the Eastern Aleutian Islands with a multi-cultural population of approximately 4,000 full-time residents and seasonal influxes from multiple commercial fishery operations.
The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification. Shown are duties intended to provide a representative summary.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: This executive level position works under the broad policy guidance of City Council and the supervision of the City Manager. The position acts as the Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer of the City. The Director is also “hands on” and an individual contributor to the Finance Department’s team. The Director is responsible for a variety of complex supervisory, professional, administrative and technical accounting, and finance related functions upholding the fiscal systems and records of the City of Unalaska. Department functions include accounting, treasury, budget, payroll, utility billing, Ports and Harbors billing, purchasing, and information systems.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated job history that includes the following:
• Thorough understanding and application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as it relates to governmental accounting, including knowledge and application of standards issued by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB).
• Ability to draft the City’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) and submit to Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) annually.
• Ability to effectively coordinate the annual audit, including interacting with the City’s external auditors.
• Ability to manage the City’s budget process and prepare the Budget Document, as well as develop and prepare financial studies and plans.
• Have well developed supervisory, interpersonal, and team-building skills.
• Organizational skills to manage workloads and assignments to achieve departmental goals.
• Ability to deliver sound and professional financial advice regarding short and long terms goals to fellow Directors, the City Manager, Council, and the Mayor.
• Have strong presentation skills and the ability to convey complex financial information in understandable terms.
• Effective and efficient communication (oral and written) skills with employees, consultants, other governmental agencies, City officials, and the general public.
• Considerable knowledge and experience with establishing, implementing, managing, and revising effective internal controls.
• Considerable knowledge of ERP systems including integrated financial management information systems, public finance and fiscal planning, and of payroll, accounts payable, and accounts receivable functions.
• Experience with and knowledge of MUNIS and other Tyler Technology products in financial management and electronic time keeping is preferred.
• Experienced in financial management of municipal water, wastewater, and electric utilities, as well as solid waste services.
• Skilled in assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands, and delegating tasks and authority.
• Skilled in data collection and analysis, and mathematical and statistical computations.
• Ability to analyze proprietary operations in terms of future financial viability and to formulate recommendations for adjustments and improvements in operations.
• Demonstrated experience in leading with an open style, viewing stakeholders as partners, and dealing with all in a professional, fair, straightforward, and responsive manner.
• Naturally collaborative with a desire and ability to work effectively with all stakeholders, and who thrives in a place where there is real opportunity to make things happen.
• Demonstrated experience as calm and disciplined leader with the ability to distill information into clear direction and policy, and a critical thinker who brings a strategic approach to initiatives and programs.
• Willingness to be visible and involved in the community.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business, public administration or related field . Graduate degree preferred.
• A minimum of eight (8) years of experience in a governmental setting, including three (3) years in financial management or related field required.
• A minimum of five (5) years of supervisory experience required, preferably with at least three (3) years in executive management.
• Combinations of education and experience providing knowledge, skill and abilities will be evaluated on an individual basis.
LICENCES & SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Must be at least 21 years of age.
• Licensed CPA is preferred, must be bondable.
• Must have, or be able to obtain, an Alaska Driver’s License within 90 days of hire.
• Ability to pass all required pre-employment testing i.e. Criminal background and History, drug testing.
• Must be eligible to work in the US; requirements by Federal Law if hired must complete employment eligibility verification form (I-9).
BENEFITS & SALARY:
• Up to a $10,000 Hiring Bonus.
• $5,000 Relocation Assistance.
• Annual Airfare Allowance $2,000, after first year of employment.
• Medical & Dental Insurance - premium 100% employer paid (employee & dependents).
• 100% employer paid Life-flight Insurance (employee & dependents).
• Personal Leave Accrual starting at 16 hours a month.
• 9 paid Holidays and 3 floating Holidays per year.
• Eligible for Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) retirement.
• Eligible for 457 Plans with ICMA-RC or Mutual of America.
• City Owned Vehicle to drive for work and personal use.
• City Owned Employee Housing available for rent.
TO APPLY: You must submit a City of Unalaska Application, Resume, and Cover Letter. All necessary forms are available at City Hall, Administration Dept. 907-581-1252, or by downloading at www.ci.unalaska.ak.us/hr/jobs Return completed forms to Human Resource Manager, Michelle Murdock, email email@example.com; or fax 907-581-4469
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The City of Unalaska is an Employer of National Service and encourages AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni to apply.