Job Title: City Attorney
Department: Legal Department
Posting Date: November 13, 2020
Closing Date for Resumes/Applications: Open Until Filled
Salary Range: Negotiable
Benefits Offered: Medical, Dental, Life and Disability Insurance; FSA; Retirement Benefits; Paid Vacation; Paid Holidays; Employee Assistance Programs and Educational Benefits.
Status: Full Time
The City of Saint Charles Human Resources Department is currently recruiting for the position of City Attorney for the Legal Department. This position’s purpose is to: act as chief legal advisor to the City; represent the City in all legal matters including litigation; provide legal advice to the Mayor, City Council, Department Directors, duly constituted committees, boards and commissions and employees; draft and review legislation, including bills ordinances and resolutions, contracts, conveyances, policies, procedures, regulations, executive orders, and any document of legal significance to the City; supervises legal department staff; administers municipal court prosecution contract; and acts as Director of Administration when requested by the Mayor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
• Drafts, reviews and interprets all legal documents such as contracts for the purchase of goods or the provision of services, conveyances, leases, development agreements, cooperation agreements, licenses, releases and settlement agreements, resolutions, ordinances, plats, subpoenas, search warrants and all litigation pleadings, responsive pleadings, motions and memorandum in support or opposition thereto.
• Advises the Mayor, Council, employees and duly constituted boards, committees, and other City government groups regarding all legal matters.
• Interprets federal and state law and regulations; federal and state case law; and city ordinances, regulations and policies.
• Represents or is responsible for the management of the representation of the City, its elected officials, officers and employees in all matters in federal and state court.
• Drafts, negotiates, interprets and defends labor agreements and related labor matters. Drafts personnel rules and regulations. Represents the City in personnel matters.
• Maintains knowledge of municipal, contract and other areas of law required to represent and advise the City.
• Provides information to other attorneys, courts, news media representatives regarding legal issues involving the City.
• Responsible for outside municipal prosecution counsel and contract administration.
• Works closely in conjunction with the Director of Administration, Director of Finance, and Director of Economic Development related to development opportunities in the City.
• Proficiency with economic development tools (TIF, NID, CID, TDD, and Chapter 100) and public financing is required.
• Instructs elected officials, board members and employees regarding administrative procedures, conflicts of interest, open meeting law and other operational requirements.
• Excellent writing and communication skills required.
• Proficient use of Microsoft Office software and Westlaw required.
Minimum Training and Experience Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
• Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school;
• Bar admission for a minimum of 10 years.
• At least 8 years public sector legal experience as a City Attorney, County Counselor, Assistant City Attorney, Assistant County Counselor, and preferably with supervisory responsibilities.
• License to practice law in Missouri is required.
• Any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities.
How to Apply
Online employment applications can be accessed on our City Website: www.stcharlescitymo.gov
The City of Saint Charles is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify