The City of Mesa is a great place to work! In addition to competitive salaries, the City also has a generous amount of other benefits available. For more information, please see our website: http://mesaaz.gov/benefits/
Development Information Specialist
($44,868.09 - $66,081.60 Annually)
A Development Information Specialist performs paraprofessional work which involves:
• Reviewing basic plans
• Interpretation and application of development-oriented City codes and ordinances
• Interviewing permit applicants
• Calculating fees and providing coordination and guidance for the issuance of building
• Right-of-way and special use permits
• Coordinating and/or assisting applicants with requests for utility service and meter installations and assisting with the research of development related data
A significant element of the work involves answering technical questions and providing information regarding zoning and building codes, public works requirements, land development regulations, rezoning and variance requests, and alternatives to specific proposals. The employee is exposed to extensive public contact of a specialized and comprehensive nature. This position is responsible for performing related duties as required.
The Development Information Specialist provides complete, comprehensive, and detailed information on a variety of development, utility, zoning, signage, and building code related topics within the Development Services Division. The position acts as a lead in terms of providing continuous training and problem resolution to less experienced staff. Extensive knowledge of three distinct functional areas (building, utility, and zoning) is required to effectively communicate with developers, architects, engineers, contractors, other City staff, and the general public.
The Development Information Specialist, performs over the counter plan reviews of, but not limited to:
• Single family site plans
• Residential master plans
• Mobile home site plans
• Temporary construction trailers
• Temporary sales trailers
• Tax applications
• Peddlers and transient merchant applications
• Holiday sales lot permits
• Verification of occupancy
• Plumbing permits
• Electric permits
• Demolition and swimming pool site plans for compliance with all codes, regulations, policies, and land-use requirements, whichever applies.
Some field work (field verification) may be required for gathering data for special projects. The position is responsible for independent decisions requiring technical judgment and excellent public relations skills. Work may include preparing graphics or example drawings/diagrams to assist customers. Minimal supervision is received from a senior staff member through meetings, conferences, and end results achieved.
This class is FLSA nonexempt.
Employee Values: All employees of the City of Mesa are expected to uphold and exhibit the City's shared employee values of Knowledge, Respect, and Integrity.
Minimum Qualifications Required:
• Graduation from high school or GED.
• Any combination of training, education, and experience equivalent to three years’ experience in planning and community development, construction, private development, building inspections, drafting, civil engineering technician work, or customer contact in a private or public building, utility, zoning, or other development-related operation.
• At least one year of experience interpreting and applying various codes, regulations, and policies as they relate to construction and development issues in either building, utility, or zoning is also required.
City of Mesa offers a competitive benefits package. A CITY OF MESA ONLINE APPLICATION IS REQUIRED. Applications available 11/20/20 and must apply by 12/03/20. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as we will review applications as they are received. For complete job description, requirements, and online application form, please visit our web site at:
City of Mesa is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.