Do you enjoy helping people with their technology challenges? Do you like to coach and train a team of IT professionals to improve performance and service? Is uptime and other key performance measurements important to you? Are you looking for IT opportunities that challenge you? If so, the Town of Oro Valley is looking for you. We have an immediate opening for a Network/Operations Manager who will directly lead the Town's IT Operations division. The ideal candidate will provide courteous, top notch IT support to all Town departments in a working supervisor role. We have a modern IT environment that is evolving and growing with the Town's needs. Familiarity or experience with ITIL 4.0, Lean, Agile, DevOps are all a plus.
This position reports to and provides highly responsive and complex support to the Chief Information Officer (CIO). Under general supervision of the CIO, manages the Network Operations (NetOps) Division including network administration, cyber security, and service desk support. Additionally, this position: designs, implements, maintains, secures and proactively manages the computer and telecommunications network infrastructure. Manages and maintains network services including network operating systems, file servers, applications servers, remote access servers, local and wide area communications equipment, network security devices, and audio visual conference rooms and Council Chambers.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Manages the Network Operations Division of the Information Technology Department. Provide regular updates on key performance metrics of the NetOps team. Continuously looks for ways to improve team performance and metric reporting. Prioritizes all work with correlation and consideration to IT Department and Town goals.
• Oversees and provides guidance to: Network and Service Desk by providing leadership and development to assigned staff. Participates in the recruitment process, evaluates work performance, ensures policy and procedure compliance, and provides guidance in employee relations matters.
• Provides high customer service to Town Council and Town Staff. Serves as an escalation point for service issues related to Network Operations and Help Desk.
• Plans NetOps Division budget to include Capital Improvement Projects (CIP) and operations. Ensures the NetOps team is operating within the established budget.
• Manages vendors related to IT Operations to include: SLA monitoring, hardware or software maintenance, job and project management, invoice processing, relationship management.
• Performs data and telecommunications network management by using network and system monitoring applications, system backups, alerts, diagrams, and industry standard tools.
• Performs software and hardware updates to network and server devices.
• Performs administrative functions on behalf of the Town’s self-insured medical and prescription plan and complies with the Town’s HIPAA Privacy Policies and Procedures, especially as it pertains to use and disclosure of Protected Health Information.
• Installs, configures, monitors, updates, maintains, and troubleshoots local/wide area network devices including file servers, communication devices, security devices, and other data or telecommunications network related equipment.
• Researches and plans projects by assisting the CIO in research and evaluation of new technologies, creating and monitoring fiscal resources as related to specific projects.
• Creates and maintains comprehensive documentation on: network configuration, network and systems modifications, network standards and related policies, data backup and recovery procedures, and capacities.
• Coordinates and may provide technical support to town staff, including installing, diagnosing, repairing and maintaining computer hardware and software.
• Coordinates and supports Audio Visual equipment in Council Chambers, Conference Rooms and Training Rooms. Ensures professional level production of Council Meetings.
• Identifies improvement opportunities relating to tools, processes, procedures, installation, configuration and troubleshooting techniques.
• Coordinates and may train Town employees on desktop software and hardware.
• Provides support to Town Council meetings.
• Provides on-call support and oversees the timely response to after-hours incidents requiring immediate response.
• Regular and reliable attendance; works more than forty hours in a workweek without additional compensation to perform assigned job duties, including weekends, evenings, early morning hours, and holidays as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Experience in management and/or supervision principles and possession of strong leadership skills.
• Expert skill in design and administration of Microsoft operating systems and servers including directory services design and implementation, particularly Microsoft Active Directory, LDAP, DNS, and modern authentication (SSO, MFA).
• Experience with virtual server environments SAN/NAS/VSAN technologies.
• Knowledge of network security standards and practices, including traffic monitoring, anti-virus software, patch management, VPN's, Terminal Services, and file system access.
• Knowledge of specific network technologies including TCP/IP, Telnet, FTP, OSPF, MPLS, SNMP, SMTP, and HTTPS.
• Experience with wireless WAN/LAN networking technologies.
• Experience deploying major network components such as backbone routers/switches.
• Experience with Cisco routers and Cisco IOS.
• Knowledge of Internet connection technologies, including T-1, MOE, and PTP wireless.
• Knowledge of VoIP and legacy telecommunications technologies.
• Knowledge of project management concepts.
• Knowledge of Lean IT, DevOps, or related concepts
• Skill in documenting existing and new network installations and configurations.
• Skill in repairing, installing and troubleshooting network hardware and software.
• Skill in building and monitoring network security and backup systems.
• Ability to communicate both verbally in in writing.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Information Technology related field.
• Minimum six (6) years of recent experience working as or along with a network administrator in a heterogeneous environment with multiple locations and more than 400 nodes.
• Minimum three (3) years supervisory experience, managing 3 or more people, in an IT environment.
• Five (5) years’ experience in the design and administration of Microsoft operating systems and servers including directory services design and implementation, particularly Microsoft Active Directory, LDAP, and DNS.
• Five (5) years’ experience with email systems, specifically SMTP.
• Five (5) years’ experience with virtual server environments, SAN/NAS/VSAN technologies.
• Three (3) years’ experience in implementing cybersecurity standards and practices, including traffic monitoring, anti-virus software, patch management, VPN's, Terminal Services, and file system access.
• Two (2) years’ experience with VoIP and legacy telecommunications technologies.
• Individual must be judged acceptable based on Arizona Criminal Justice Information System background check and a screening by the Oro Valley Police Department.
• Current certifications in either a vendor-sponsored discipline (Microsoft, Cisco,) or a vendor-neutral discipline (CompTIA, (ICS)2, PMI).
• Lean Six Sigma or similar project management certification.