ICMA is committed to providing workshops that are affordable, accessible, and designed to meet the specific needs of local government professionals. Each workshop is based on the Practices for Effective Local Government Leadership and can be used to meet your annual professional development requirements as outlined in the guidelines for Tenet 8 of the ICMA Code of Ethics.
ICMA Launches New Online Workshops
ICMA is expanding its professional development offerings with a new online workshop format designed to promote self-discovery and personal growth. These live events will bring your peers together in a cohort learning experience that is engaging, interactive, and easy to fit into your schedule.
The workshops are designed so that they may be experienced individually or as a series. These will be live only, and not recorded, so that participants may have a safe space to be open and discuss real-life leadership challenges.
All online workshops are presented via Zoom. Check your computer's system requirements.
Member - $295
Nonmember - $495
The Future of Work
January 24, 2023 1:00pm to 2:30pm ET
March 21, 2023 10:30am to 12:00pm ET
We live in an ever-changing VUCA world. The future of local government will offer opportunities that have yet to be considered and leaders that will need to think strategically and creatively to prepare for and take advantage of these opportunities.
This workshop provides the environment and tools to
- Engage with fellow local government leaders and start imagining the opportunities and workforce changes needed to provide excellent services and meet the demands of future communities.
- Practice proven creative strategic thinking tools that anticipate and plan for the future.
- Come away with ways to create high performance learning organizations that are prepared to tackle challenges now and in the future.
Deploying Your Vision and Strategy
February 1, 2023 1:00pm to 2:30pm ET
This workshop is built upon the belief that the purpose of your vision and strategic plan is to achieve organizational excellence and define your future within the context of your local situation. We will discuss how to assess your vision and strategic plan and how to cascade it effectively and successfully throughout the organization.
- Learn a simple, but compelling assessment instrument to measure the quality and implementation of your strategy.
- Discuss a case study of how a local government reached beyond the executive level to ensure that staff understood and were inspired by the organization’s strategy.
- Learn how to define your performance expectations and translate your strategy to front-line activities and behaviors.
- Receive a list of transformational measures that form the basis for recognition, accountability, and refocusing strategic efforts.
February 22, 2023 1:00pm to 2:30pm ET
March 28, 2023 10:30am to 12:00pm ET
Psychological safety is the number one way to create a positive work culture, bring out the most talent in employees, and create team players willing to release discretionary effort in support of a common mission/vision/goal.
- Crack yourself open and examine your own values, assumptions, and behavior.
- The goal is to help you see the current state clearly and plan how you can take the next steps to transform your team and organization’s culture and performance by increasing the level of psychological safety.
- Come away with concrete behaviors to create more psychological safety.