Unemployment has an exponential impact on veterans' health, housing, education, family well-being, and the transition to civilian life. Unemployment is the greatest challenge facing post-9/11 veterans. In June 2019, the unemployment rate was 3.2% for veterans.
Translating military occupations into civilian language is one of the biggest hurdles for employment among veterans. These resources were developed to make that process more manageable:
Skills Translator and Resume Examples
- Mynextmove.org Military Skills Translator.
- CareerOneStop provides a free resume writing guide.
- Colin Baenziger & Associates recruits for local government and provided these resume examples.
- Advice on formatting a local government resume from a veteran and city manager.
- Downloadable and changeable cover letter and resume example.
- SkillSyncer is free to military and improves your interview chances through resume optimization and proper keyword utilization.
Local Government Job Boards
- ICMA posts local government jobs on the ICMA Job Center.
- GovernmentJobs.com posts local government jobs nationwide.
- Engaging Local Government Leaders (ELGL) posts local government jobs.
- Many local government positions are located on state and municipality websites.
- The National League of Cities job board.
- National Association of Counties job board.
- Special district associations in California, Colorado and Oregon
- American Public Works Association job board.
- Recruitment firms such as Springstead-Waters, The Mercer Group, GovHR USA, Colin Baenziger & Associates and CPS HR Consulting are helpful places to look for jobs as well.
- Read the ICMA publication; Preparing for an Interview..
- Read the Blog Post How to Prepare for a Local Government Job Interview.
- Interview matrix to prepare for a local government job interview.
- LinkedIn tool for practicing basic interview questions.
- Here are five rules for negotiating your salary.
Networking and Coaching
- LinkedIn free one year premium subscription.
- Creating and improving your LinkedIn account.
- The ICMA Coaching Program hosts a one-to-one coaching resource called CoachConnect where you can search for a free career coach.
Other Employment Resources
- Veterans Affairs Veterans Employment Center, designed to help veterans, active duty members, and spouses create resumes and connect with outside employers and training resources.
- Learn How to Become has published more resources in their Veterans' Guide to Getting Hired..
- ICMA's Careers Resource Guide has several guidebooks and resources that you might find helpful.