Unemployment has an exponential impact on veterans' health, housing, education, family well-being, and the transition to civilian life. Unemployment is the greatest challenge facing post-9/11 veterans. In June 2019, the unemployment rate was 3.2% for veterans.
Translating military occupations into civilian language is one of the biggest hurdles for employment among veterans. These resources were developed to make that process more manageable:
Skills Translator and Resume Examples
- Mynextmove.org Military Skills Translator
- CareerOneStop provides a free resume writing guide
- Colin Baenziger & Associates recruits for Local Government and provided these resume examples
- Advice on formatting a local government resume from a veteran and city manager
- Downloadable and changeable Cover Letter and Resume example
- SkillSyncer is a free to military and improves your interview chances through resume optimization and proper keyword utilization
Local Government Job Boards
- ICMA posts local government jobs on the ICMA Job Board
- GovernmentJobs.com posts local government jobs nationwide
- Strategic Government Resources post jobs for local governments
- Many local government positions are located on state and municipalities websites
- The National League of Cities job board
- National Association of Counties job board
- Special District Associations in California, Colorado and Oregon
- American Public Works Association job board
- Recruitment firms such as Springstead-Waters, The Mercer Group, GovHR USA, Colin Baenziger & Associates and CPS HR Consulting are helpful places to look for jobs as well.
- Read the ICMA publication; Preparing for an interview
- Read the Blog Post How to prepare for a local government job interview
- Interview Matrix to prepare for a local government job interview
- LinkedIn tool for practicing basic interview questions
- Here are five rules for negotiating your salary
Networking and Coaching
- LinkedIn free one year premium subscription
- Creating and improving your LinkedIn Account
- The ICMA Coaching Program hosts a one-to-one coaching resource called CoachConnect where you can search for a free career coach.
Other Employment Resources
- Veterans Affairs Veterans Employment Center, designed to help veterans, active duty members, and spouses create resumes and connect with outside employers and training resources.
- Learn How to Become has published more resources in their Veterans' Guide to Getting Hired.