About the Program
The Bob Turner Scholars Internship is a hands-on learning opportunity designed to attract high school or community college students to local government and a values-based career. ICMA received a donation to be endowed in honor of Bob Turner to help train future professionals. Bob was a mentor to many individuals who followed in his footsteps and made their own contributions to society. The goal of this program is to ensure that these students have the opportunity to serve a local government as an intern under the guidance of an ICMA member mentor. Each student will work for a CAO or assistant CAO who can dedicate time over the summer to helping students understand the nuts and bolts of local government operations and, most importantly, the value system that drives decision-making and the profession.
2024 Bob Turner Scholars Internship Program Timeline
Application Opens: October 1, 2023
Application Closes: December 28, 2023
Host Selection: January 16, 2024
Internship Timeframe: June- August 2024
Host an Intern
Hosting a high school intern not only impacts the student but can impact you and your organization. Do you have the calling it takes?
To be eligible to participate in the Bob Turner Scholars Internship Program, host organizations must:
- Chief administrative officer (i.e. city/county manager or administrator) is an ICMA member.
- Submit a host application (this does not guarantee participation).
- Sign a letter of agreement.
- Submit required financial forms to ICMA (to receive reimbursement).
- Attend a host/mentor training.
- Submit a meaningful and age-appropriate work plan.
- Designate a mentor and time for mentoring opportunities.
- Participate in program debrief and feedback.
Pay and Salary
The host organization provides compensation, and ICMA reimburses the host organization up to $2,500 per intern upon completion of the summer internship. Hosts are responsible for covering any pay/salary that exceeds $2,500. Hosts are responsible for providing the required equipment for the intern to perform his or her day-to-day duties.
Interns placed in the Bob Turner Scholars Internship Program will receive:
- Complimentary ICMA membership for two years.
- Complimentary registration to the ICMA Annual Conference (*if the intern is 18 years of age by the time of conference).
- Complimentary subscription to PM magazine.
- A tailored cohort experience including biweekly cohort calls.
- Access to ICMA’s Local Government 101.
ICMA is accepting applications beginning October 1, 2023, for the summer 2024 Bob Turner Scholars Internship. Applications will be considered by the review committee. Based on the degree of interest, a limited number of host communities will be selected each year.