Thank you for considering ICMA’s resources as you begin the process of finding a new executive for your community. ICMA has resources to make the search and hiring process more efficient and effective:
- ICMA's Executive Search Firm Directory: ICMA maintains this list of executive search firms that know the local government management profession. This list is for your convenience but it is not an endorsement of any firm. The directory is also available online at www.icma.org/executive-search.
- Recruitment Guidelines Handbook: Guidelines to help local government officials recruit and select the best professional for their needs.
- Model Employment Agreement: A template for administrators of municipal governments. Useful for both the council and the manager.
- Manager Evaluations Handbook: A starter resource for a new or tenured professional manager to assist local elected officials in the design of an effective evaluation tool. (Member Resource)
- When conducting a search for an executive or for other positions, you should check resume details to verify credentials, experience, and qualifications.
- Sample RFPs for executive search services are available below. Searching our site using keywords may reveal more as they are added:
- ICMA maintains a Job Center targeted to ICMA members and other local government professionals. Designed to be self-service, our online job board is available directly to local governments and recruiters alike. Below are examples of job descriptions that may appear in the ICMA Job Center.
Code of Ethics and Membership
- ICMA is concerned with local government administrators, assistants, and support staff maintaining high personal and professional standards and requires its members to submit complete and accurate credentials when they apply for employment.
- ICMA connects your ad to a network of ICMA members who are committed to the ICMA Code of Ethics. In addition to the professional benefits managers gain by joining ICMA, local governments benefit as well. ICMA members must agree to the principles of the code as a condition of membership and are subject to peer review of their conduct under a well-established enforcement process.
- If you hire a nonmember of ICMA, encouraging membership to the association will bring those same benefits to both the individual, and your community. Details are available at icma.org/membership.
- If you would like a copy of ICMA’s Code of Ethics with guidelines, download it at icma.org/ethics.
- Your ad is renewable at no additional charge for an additional 60 days.
- CAO/Deputy CAO ads are automatically included in the weekly ICMA Leadership Matters newsletter and Leadership Matters: Non-member Highlights as long as the ad is live. A 60-day ad reaches nearly 45,000 local government professionals each week, for about eight weeks.
Chief Selection Advantage
Great management doesn't begin or end with the CAO. It's a team effort. If you are searching for a police or fire chief, ICMA has a service to help you find the right chief for your community. Visit our Chief Selection Advantage page to learn more.
If you have any additional questions, please contact ICMA at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (800) 745-8780. Thank you again for trusting ICMA with your recruiting needs!