Elgin Parks and Recreation Department is seeking a candidate who is passionate about accomplishing our mission and strives to enhance our parks and playgrounds throughout our community. The ideal candidate is creative, motivated, enthusiastic, works well with others, and takes on duties with a positive attitude as they are assigned.
Under the direction of the Parks and Recreation Director, and working closely with the Parks and Facilities Superintendent, this position is responsible for park planning, design, development, bidding of various capital development projects and construction management, update and maintain the Parks and Recreation planning files, participating in master planning, capital improvement and management of natural areas.
The Elgin Parks and Recreation Department strives to be the heart of the community by creating community through people, parks and programs. In doing so, the department operates the Elgin Sports Complex, The Edward Schock Centre of Elgin, Wing and Lords Park Family Aquatic Centers, The Pavilion at Lords Park, the Hawthorne Hill Nature Center, Wing Park Golf Course, Highlands of Elgin Golf Course, Bowes Creek Golf Course, 76 parks, 47 playgrounds, Festival Park Splash Pad and a variety of community recreation programs and activities.
GENERAL DEFINITION AND CONDITIONS OF WORK
* Understand theory and practice of comprehensive park planning and be knowledgeable about the theory, principles and philosophy of the park and recreation profession.
* Participation in master planning, capital improvement planning, site planning and site improvement processes.
Strong skills in project management.
* Ability to supervise outside consultants and contractors.
* Ability to communicate effectively with staff, contractors, consultants and appointed/elected officials.
* Ability to locate and apply for park related state and federal grants (i.e. OSLAD and PARC).
* Works with the grant coordinator or contractor to develop and prepare grant applications; narratives, budgets, and exhibits as required; monitors costs, maintains project reports and coordinates audits, billing and reimbursement requests for grant projects;
* Assists in department and capital budget planning.
* Prepares, coordinates and supervises the preparation of sketches, working drawings, specifications, cost estimates, bid documents and contract documents for projects, including the preparation of staff recommendations for approval by the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board and City Council.
* Reviews, supervises and inspects the construction/renovation of park and facility improvements to ensure specification compliance, satisfactory completion and to provide direction to staff and contractors involved in projects.
* Responsible for making regular site visits and preparing punch lists.
* Assist in the design and development of maintenance procedures.
* Maintains complete and accurate files on all planning, design, construction and cost for all projects.
* Maintains and updates site plans, park utility maps, playground plans and maintains CAD files and GIS database for park boundary, topographic surveys and park assets.
* Participates in park acceptance process.
* Attends Park Board meetings and city council meetings as requested.
* Attends professional educational training and remain informed of current trends and issues in related areas of responsibility.
* Assists other City Departments in planning, design and review of capital projects as requested; reviews and provides comments upon intergovernmental agreements, annexation agreements and proposed development plans as they relate to parks; reviews proposed plans to ensure park development and playground construction comply with written requirements; edit and update park and playground requirements as necessary;
* Performs related tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
* Must possess good written and oral communication skills.
* Fluent in both English and Spanish preferred.
* Ability to work 40+ hours per week. Work schedule may vary and may include nights and weekends.
* Ability to work independently and in a team based environment.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
* Ability to enforce policies and rules of the City in a diplomatic matter.
* Ability to maintain a positive image and relationships with the community, staff and third party partners.
* Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, meet deadlines and problem solve.
* Possess strong communication, organizational and customer service skills.
* CPR/AED certification is required.
* Ability to work in a variety of indoor and outdoor conditions.
* Ability to lift 30 lbs.
* Must have a valid Illinois driver’s license.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
* Four years of applicable professional park planning experience.
* Certified Landscape Architect in the State of Illinois desired.
* Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in project management, landscape architecture, or a related field with a minimum of four years of applicable, professional work experience.
* Extensive knowledge of landscape architecture and architectural planning required.
* Membership in a professional organization and state licensure is desirable.
* Possession of a Certified Playground Safety Inspector certification desired.
* Must have experience applying for and following reporting protocols for state and federal grants.
* Must have experience working with construction contracts, bid documents and specifications.
* Proficient in AutoCAD, GIS, Photoshop, Adobe Suite and Microsoft Office.
* Proficient working knowledge of Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Illinois Environmental Barriers Act and Illinois Accessibility Code (IAC).
* Ability to effectively lead projects and work well with outside parties and contractors.
* Knowledge of budget and fiscal accountability.
* Ability and willingness to work independently with little supervision.