APPLICATION DEADLINE: Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Interviews may be conducted as applications are received. This position will remain open until filled.
HIRING RANGE (not to exceed): $70,325.79 - $76,321.90, D.O.Q.
FULL POSITION RANGE: $70,325.79 - $94,310.23
HOURS PER WEEK: 40 hours per week, exempt status. Attendance at night meetings, and occasional weekend hours may be required.
BENEFITS: The Village of Algonquin has a competitive benefit package which currently includes: generous paid time off, a flexible benefit Section 125 plan including health, dental, and life insurance as well as flexible spending accounts (health care and/or child care), a defined benefit pension plan through Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund, a deferred compensation 457(b) plan through Nationwide, and more.
The Village of Algonquin, home to approximately 29,700 residents, is nestled in the Fox River Valley in both Kane and McHenry counties and is conveniently located 45 miles from the Chicago Loop. The community provides residents and businesses an exceptional quality of life with recreational amenities, educational opportunities, and a mixture of numerous restaurants and shopping malls, which offer a variety of leisure time activities. In addition to providing a friendly and safe community, Algonquin believes in providing residents leisure opportunities involving the great outdoors. In total, there are 21 parks conveniently located throughout the Village to ensure adequate access to parks. Of special distinction, the Village continues to receive recognition for providing premier parks and trails for its residents as it has been named a “Tree City USA” for 26 consecutive years by the Arbor Day Foundation and has received the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award from the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) for the 18th consecutive year for meeting the highest principles of governmental budgeting.
Now seeking applicants for the position of:
Engineer I for the Public Works Department
JOB SUMMARY: In this role you will manage engineering functions, including plan reviews, document preparation and review, field observations, construction inspections, consultant management, project management, and carry out public relations activities related to public engineering projects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provides construction engineering oversight for various capital construction projects including public utility, roadway, park, and/or natural area improvement projects as directed by the Village Engineer.
• Construction oversight tasks include inspection of all aspects of construction, coordination with the contractor, documentation of construction activities, coordination with residents and businesses, record contract quantities, and administer pay requests.
• Oversees consultants on design and construction projects for various Village Capital Improvement projects.
• Prepares, reviews and recommends Requests for Qualifications and Proposals (RFQ & RFP), interviews consulting firms and makes recommendations to award the contract to a consultant as directed by the Village Engineer.
• Assists with preparation of engineering plans and bidding documents. Reviews competitive bids and makes recommendations to award the contract to a contractor.
• Assists in the preparation of long-range capital improvement programs and budgets, recognized as the Capital Projects Budget.
• Prepares committee reports related to consultant selection and construction bid awards as directed by the Village Engineer.
• Corresponds with other Village departments and outside agencies. Works directly with residents and businesses impacted by public improvement projects and is responsible for providing interactive public relations on projects with significant impacts to the public.
• Coordinates with the Information Technologies (IT) staff related to GIS updates for project asbuilts and changes to Village maps as improvements of Capital projects are completed.
• Cooperatively works with entire public works team on all aspects of the Village’s Asset Management Program.
• Assists with Village design and construction standards and details as directed by the Village Engineer.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or related engineering field or ability to obtain said degree by date of hire.
• Possession of Fundamentals of Engineering examination (F.E.) and registration as an Engineering Intern (E.I.) in the State of Illinois within 12 months of the date of hire.
• This is an entry level position. No experience is required but prior internships, cooperative education program, or prior experience in municipal engineering is a plus along with basic knowledge of civil engineering principles.
• Experience in drafting, Computer Aided Design (CAD), and civil engineering desired, but not required.
• This position is expected to be evenly split between office/desk work and outside work in the field. Expect to work 30+ hours outside during peak construction season (May - October).
• Must possess a valid State driver's license with a satisfactory driving record or have the ability to obtain one prior to employment.
• Proficiency with current computer software systems (AutoCAD or MicroStation, Adobe Acrobat, Bluebeam, Microsoft Office, etc.), including email, calendar programs, job specific software, and customer service systems preferred.
Ability to read and interpret a variety of engineering plans and specifications. Ability to prepare, organize and maintain engineering field and office data, reports and systems. Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently. Ability to effectively communicate complex technical information, orally and in writing, to contractors, developers, property owners, employees, consultants, other governmental agency representatives, Village officials and the general public. Ability to work independently with general supervision and as part of a larger team. Ability to understand, follow, and transmit written and oral instructions. Ability to establish effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, and the public. Ability to organize, schedule, and conduct various meetings. Must ensure best in class customer service is provided to both internal and external customers.
The Village of Algonquin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.