THIS IS A CRITICAL POSITION. During the current health crisis, any job interviews will be held by video or audio conference.
Please be aware that you may be required to undergo screening for symptoms of COVID-19 which may include answering questions regarding symptoms or having your body temperature read as part of this job. You may also be required to wear a face covering or use other personal protective equipment (PPE) related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Deputy City Auditors lead teams of auditors in a wide range of projects involving all aspects of City government. The primary objective of the work is to evaluate the City’s internal control environment and make recommendations for improvement. Major areas of responsibility include audit planning, audit fieldwork, and the development and reporting of solutions to improve the internal controls of the City. Duties include assigning projects to staff and reviewing their work for completeness and accuracy; developing and mentoring staff; supervising, or leading, the more complex assignments; presenting results and recommendations to City executives; and serving as a consultant on Citywide initiatives. Work is performed under the general supervision of the City Auditor in accordance with department policies, with latitude for innovative thought and independent judgment. This recruitment may be used for any current or future vacancies over the life of the eligible list.
This recruitment and any interview process as a result of this recruitment may be used by multiple hiring managers and multiple departments throughout the City to fill any related current or future vacancies; other recruitments and appropriate eligible lists may also be considered.
• The ideal candidate will have a heart for public service, will be highly competent in governmental auditing, and will possess an in-depth knowledge of generally accepted government auditing standards (GAGAS).
• The ideal candidate must have excellent communication skills and must be able to work collaboratively with City leadership, other departments, and other stakeholders as needed.
• The ideal candidate will hold one of the following certifications: Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA), or Certified Management Accountant (CMA), or another relevant Audit or Financial Certification.
• The ideal candidate will bring a positive example of competence, professionalism, energy, and work ethic to the organization. This position requires excellent analytical, organizational, oral and written communication skills.
• The deputy city auditor works under the general direction of the city auditor and will be comfortable planning, organizing, and prioritizing work to handle multiple, concurrent projects and meet deadlines. Interpersonal skills in coaching and developing staff, as well as interacting successfully with management staff subject to audit are also expected.
• The ideal candidate will have the skills and ability to supervise, train, and evaluate the performance of a team of professional and technical staff.
Up to $129,917 annually. Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. The City contributes 8.5% of salary into 457/401(a) plans with no matching required. $3,360/annual car allowance and $1,440/annual cell phone allowance.
A comprehensive Middle Manager benefits package is offered which includes:
Traditional pension with employer and employee contributions; choice of medical HMO, PPO, HDHP/HSA plan; wellness incentive of up to $720 annually, dental; vision; life insurance; long-term disability; medical enrollment includes a monthly $150 City contribution to a Post-Employment Health Plan; bus/light rail pass; tuition reimbursement; paid time off includes 11.5 paid holidays, 12 vacation days, 15 sick days. For more details, visit: Middle Manager Benefits: https://www.phoenix.gov/hrsite/Benefit%20Category/009.pdf
• Five years of professional-level experience in auditing or accounting work, including one year of supervisory experience.
• Bachelor's degree.
• Either a master’s degree or a relevant Audit or Financial Certification.
• The City job description can be found here: https://www.phoenix.gov/hrsite/JobDescriptions/03720.pdf
• All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS – The minimum qualifications listed above, plus:
• Master’s degree.
• Two years of internal audit experience as a senior auditor or supervisor.
First review of applications will occur the week of October 19, 2020. Recruitment will close when we have received a sufficient number of qualified applications, or November 2, 2020, whichever is sooner.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online at https://www.phoenix.gov/hr/current-jobs/ by completing the required information and attaching, as one document, your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. Only the highest qualified may be posted to the eligible to hire list. The results of the resume screening process will be sent to your primary email address.
During the online application process, please be advised that you will need to provide responses to the following open-ended questions (the system allows copying/pasting into the answer field):
• List related certifications such as CPA, CIA, CISA, or CFE, etc.
• List software experience you have used to analyze data (e.g., Access, Excel, Tableau, etc.)
• In approximately 100 words or fewer, explain why you want to work for the City of Phoenix, City Auditor Department.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
• For other important information related to employment with the City of Phoenix, please click here: https://www.phoenix.gov/hrsite/Documents/Talent-Acquisition/Employment-I...
• Link to All City of Phoenix Employment Opportunities: https://www.phoenix.gov/employment
• If you need assistance applying for this job, please contact our HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700.
Deputy City Auditor, JC: 03720, ID# 37383
City of Phoenix employees commit to Work Smart, Spend Wisely, Be Kind.
City of Phoenix is an equal opportunity employer. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.