2020 LGMF TIMELINE
- Application Opens: September 16
- Application Closes: December 16
- Finalist Notice: Early February
- Interviews and Placement: February - August
- LGMF Orientation - Tentative (Held during ICMA Annual Conference)
- Step 1: Job Application (using a governmentjobs.com account), including demographic information, education, work experience, resume, professional references.
- *Included in Step 1: Unofficial graduate and undergraduate transcripts, uploaded directly to the application.
- Step 2: Agency-Wide Questions.
- Step 3: Supplemental Questions.
- Included in Step 3 is the personal statement and management case study (submitted within the online application). The case study question is available in the application.
- Certify and submit.
- Three letters of recommendation: two from professors/program directors, and one professional recommendation; sealed and signed across the envelope seal by the recommendation writer.
NOTE: Send the letters of recommendation in one envelope to ICMA postmarked by December 16.
*If you are selected as a finalist, we will request official transcripts at that time.
Mail your letters of recommendation to:
Attn: LGMF PROGRAM
777 North Capitol Street, NE, Suite 500
Washington, D.C. 20002-4201
It is strongly recommended that you prepare your essay and case study outside the LGMF application and save your work frequently. When you have completed your essay questions, copy/paste them into the application tool as unformatted text.
Case Study: You may attach one page with graphs, tables or charts to accompany your case study if you wish; reference this and clearly identify your document and be sure your name is also on the attachment.
Application: You may attach a formatted resume and transcripts to your application. Any attachments that were not officially requested will not be included in your final application package.
The LGMF Advisory Board will review all applications submitted by the deadline. ICMA will notify all applicants if they have been selected as a finalist once the Advisory Board submits results. Applications will be scored on resume/applicant experience, letters of recommendation, transcripts, personal statement, and management case study.
Seventy percent of the total score is based on the personal essay and case study; your demonstrated passion and subject knowledge.
Finalists' applications will be routed directly to host local governments for review. Local governments will contact finalists directly to schedule interviews. If you are contacted by a local government, it is strongly recommended that you prepare for the interview as you would for any other employment opportunity.
ICMA will notify all selected finalists of their status in February. Finalists' applications will then be routed directly to host local governments for review. Local governments will contact finalists directly to schedule interviews. Interviews begin as early as February, but continue through August in some instances. If you are contacted by a local government, we recommended that you prepare for the interview as you would for any other job opportunity. In general, fellowships begin in the summer/early fall (after graduation for current students) or at an alternative time as agreed upon by the fellow and the local government. We are continually recruiting host governments and will update the full list of available locations as they join the program. Hosts have joined as late as July in the past and still hired fellows. You can check progress in host-recruiting any time online by visiting the LGMF Placement Regions page.