Kent County, MI, located in Western Michigan, is the fourth largest County in the State of Michigan covering 864 square miles, and is home to approximately 662,896 people. The economy of Kent County is diverse and growing. The County is the central hub of the Grand Rapids-Wyoming Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA), which continues to be one of the fastest growing regions of the United States. Among the factors which have encouraged major growth and have attracted numerous firms from outside the area are: a strong but highly diversified base of industries, an excellent work force, educational opportunities, excellent employer/employee relations, good location and transportation facilities, utilities and possibly the most important, quality of life.
Kent County is seeking a dynamic and resourceful Assistant County Administrator to be a part of our executive team. The successful candidate will serve as an assistant to the Administrator/Controller in providing operations management for designated County departments and functions. The Assistant County Administrator will participate in the administration of the operating and capital budgets for assigned departments using the County’s strategic, long-term goals as the top priority; they will identify goals and objectives for subordinate staff and provide access to training and development to facilitate professional and personal goals; and they will be involved in projects that strengthen our organization; both internally and externally. Relationship building is essential to success. Selfless leadership, a person who will listen, collaborate, mentor and help transform multi-disciplinary teams throughout the county is essential. Innovation and proven experience in conflict resolution and problem solving are critical as they aid in the research and evaluation of issues, proposal of actions, policies, and solutions for a growing and progressive community.
The successful candidate will:
• Have a bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Health Administration or a related field, combined with at least six (6) years of progressively responsible experience in public administration; or an equivalent combination of education and work experience. A master’s degree is preferred.
• Be knowledgeable about local government and administrative practices and financial management principles.
• Be knowledgeable of health and human service programs and service needs of target population.
• Bring forward excellent oral and written communication skills, including knowledge of proposal writing.
• Stay committed to excellence and have strong emotional intelligence and work ethic.
• Thrive in an inclusive, collaborative, and fast-paced work environment, where diversity, equity, and individual differences are valued.
Kent County offers a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision plan, life insurance, paid time off, holidays, and pension plan. Apply now at: www.accesskent.com/jobs
Mission Statement: Through responsible budgeting and thoughtful planning, Kent County government is committed to providing resources and services that promote a high quality of life for the entire community.