Marathon County is accepting online applications for a Deputy County Administrator. Make yourself at home as you support Marathon County’s leaders towards our goal of becoming the safest, healthiest and most prosperous county in Wisconsin.
Located in the heart of Wisconsin, Marathon County is an excellent location for a talented Deputy County Administrator to live, work, and play in a community that takes pride in its natural beauty, safe neighborhoods, affordable housing, and overall quality of life.
Marathon County is seeking an experienced, results-driven, and solution-focused leader to serve as the full-time Deputy County Administrator. The Deputy County Administrator is responsible for supporting the coordination of overall county operations. This position works closely with the County Administrator, Board of Supervisors, department heads, community and business leaders, as well as other state and local officials to define and develop strategies to enhance the delivery of county services. The Deputy County Administrator has direct oversight responsibility for select department heads, and large scale projects and initiatives countywide. The Deputy County Administrator acts as a trusted advisor, helping to mentor staff, develop leaders, and strengthen the organization’s capacity to serve.
Notable Work / Performance Expectations
• Leadership and coordination on the execution of the county’s strategic goals; ensuring the operationalization of the Marathon County Strategic Plan
• Oversight of complex projects and operations countywide
• Establish work plans with specific outcome measures and assign priorities to department heads accordingly
• Hold department heads accountable for quality, impact, service and cost of programs they manage
• Develop employees’ capacity to independently identify, and effectively solve, complex problems
• Inspire, motivate and guide others toward the accomplishment of the organizations goals; encourage and facilitate cooperation within the organization to develop a common focus
• Develop and implement strategies to maximize employee engagement, passion, thinking and performance
• Assure County departments and committees see themselves within the broader view of County government both in their planning and daily operations.
• Work closely with County Administrator and Finance Director in reviewing annual budget requests and managing the county’s $171,000,000 annual budget
• Evaluate current programs and services to assess their impact and determine whether they represent the best value for our citizens
• Perform research, compile, analyze, and display data in a compelling way
• Provide sound data-driven recommendations and advice to County committees with regard to major impact organizational efficiencies and high profile policy decisions.
• Contribute to a positive work culture, take pride in our community, welcome diversity, and exercise a high-level of integrity.
• The Deputy County Administrator will represent the County Administrator in a variety of formal and informal settings, and will be expected to appropriately represent the interests of the county and the Board, with honesty, integrity, and professionalism. When necessary, the Deputy County Administrator will be expected to act, and make decisions, on behalf of and/or in the absence of the County Administrator.
A successful candidate will possess a considerable range of skills, knowledge and experience.
Personal Traits & Desired Characteristics
• Excellent communication skills with exceptional listening skills.
• Collaborative in nature with the ability to establish and maintain positive partnerships within and outside of the organization, foster stakeholder engagement, and inspire cooperation among all invested in the county’s growth and development
• Ability to facilitate, integrate, and create mutual purpose amidst differing ideas and viewpoints for community betterment
• Strong time management skills, with the capacity to effectively prioritize own work in a fast-paced and demanding environment, while also managing others with high expectations
• Ability to delegate effectively, provide guidance, and remain focused on the organization’s performance and commitment to service delivery
• Bring a strategic perspective, be able to look beyond immediate pressures, and stay focused on important long term objectives
• Ability to set clear expectations, measurable goals, and hold others accountable
• A successful candidate will be an experienced leader with the ability to promote teamwork, build cohesive teams, reinforce shared values, foster a sense of urgency, ownership, and personal commitment
• Ability to make decision effectively and bring creative solutions to complex problems
• Ability to remain focused and positive when confronted with negativity
• Knowledge of and experience in Government Finance is desirable
Experience and Education Qualifications
• Master's degree in Public Administration, Organizational Psychology, Business Administration, Criminal Justice, Human Services Administration, law degree, or related field
• 5 years progressively responsible leadership experience in municipal management, organizational development, criminal justice, human services, or a related field
• Any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities may qualify an applicant, and be considered in lieu of the more specific criteria listed above.
The expected hiring range for this position is (E81: $81,000 – 133,000) DOQ. A competitive total compensation package will consider the candidate’s experience and expertise and will include additional benefits package.
Anticipated Start Date: November 2020
How to Apply:
Applications will only be accepted electronically HERE. Applicants will complete a brief online form and be prompted to submit a cover letter and resume. Apply by August 17th, 2020
The selection of the successful candidate may be made by assessment of experience and education, oral interview, reference check, written management assessment, criminal background check, and other appropriate job-related selection procedures. All applicants will be notified as to the status of their application.