The Planning and Zoning Department plays a major role in meeting the community’s strategic goals and ensuring that new initiatives are implemented through innovative programming, funding, and creative partnerships. The Planning Division acts as staff support for the City Planning Commission, the Board of Zoning Appeals, the River District Design Commission, and the Commission of Architectural Review. The office conducts plan reviews for zoning compliance and updates the City's 2030 Comprehensive Land Use Plan. The staff is also responsible for issuing Zoning Clearances and Sign Permits and enforcing the City's Zoning Code.
The Senior Planner will work with the Director to engage with the community on critical planning and zoning issues, exercising skills to assist in the development of a new zoning ordinance as well as comprehensive plan. This position will back-up the Director of Community Development in his absence.
The successful candidate:
• Is extensively knowledgeable about comprehensive planning, transportation planning, land use management, affordable housing, historic preservation, sign code, zoning codes, permitting, and other critical planning competencies;
• understands state and local government zoning rules and regulations;
• demonstrates skills in long-range planning, ordinance development and comprehensive plans;
• has an extensive track record of delivering and fostering a climate of excellent customer service;
• is highly organized and efficient in managing a growing workload;
• proactively and successfully works with community, regional and inter-governmental stakeholder groups;
• excels at innovative problem solving, seeking win-win solutions while keeping strategic goals in mind;
• values accountability while holding realistic and fair expectations of self and others; and,
• possesses excellent and effective written, interpersonal and presentation competencies to effectively engage citizens, community groups, staff, and the appointed / elected Board members.
A bachelor’s degree in urban planning, architecture, public administration, business administration or closely related field is required while a master’s degree is preferred. A minimum of 1-3 years progressively more responsible planning and development experience is required along with knowledge of building and zoning code administration and enforcement. Three or more years of relevant municipal planning experience is preferred. A valid VA State Driver’s License is required.