Alerts and What's New
- Welcome to the new ICMA website. We will migrate the posting process to a new web service soon. This space will be updated with timeline and impacts as we get closer to the migration. If you have any questions or problems, contact us at email@example.com or 800-745-8780.
Explore our Frequently Asked Questions below:
- What are your advertising rates for job postings?
- How do I place an ad?
- How long is my ad active?
- Can I take my ad down early?
- In what newsletters can my ad run?
- What are the ad deadlines for the newsletters?
- As a private, for-profit company, can we place job ads with ICMA?
- My organization doesn't appear in your search list. Help!
- Can I pay by purchase order (without a credit card)?
- How soon will my ad be available after I submit it?
- Can I get a receipt or invoice?
- What is "Error or Code 12"?
- What's this about Topic Areas?
- Why is the population data different than our actual population?
- I need to make changes to my job ad. How can I do that?
- Do you accept faxed or emailed job ads?
- What's coming next?
- I have another question!
Advertising rates have recently changed (in your favor!) with the launch of our new Job Center! See detailed advertising rates.
Starting on icma.org/careers, click "Post a job" under the Search Jobs box, or click "Employers" under the 'Job Center' tab and find 'Post a Job Ad' in the sidebar menu. Existing account holders may create an ad right away.
New customers will need to create a free account.
Ads are active for 60 days, and renewable easily from your account page.
CAO ads also expire after 60 days, but you may renew them at no extra charge. Executive searches can take time, and ICMA does not want communities burdened by additional search costs if the first listing did not generate responses that meet your needs .
If you entered a date in the Application Deadline field, your ad will automatically be taken down at the end of the day on that date. If you want to reactivate it within the initial 60-day period, just email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yes. To remove your ad early, you can:
- Change the deadline date to the day prior to today, which will remove the ad immediately.
- Or, when viewing the ad as the ad owner (you must be signed in), you will see a gray bar below the title and location, but above the map. The copy says, "This advertisement will be active in ICMA’s public job listings until (expiration date). If you would like to take your ad down early, you may "remove this job ad". Job ads cannot be edited after checkout, but email email@example.com if you would like to make any revisions." The copy "remove this job ad" is hyperlinked; clicking on that link will ask you to confirmthat you want to take down your ad. The ad will then expire from the job board at the end of the day (11:59pm eastern).
ICMA has two electronic newsletters for distributing job notices:
- Leadership Matters (formerly the ICMA Newsletter)
- Leadership Matters, Non-member Highlights (formerly the Job Opportunities Bulletin and Local Government Matters)
Advertisers should determine the level of exposure they would like for each ad and select newsletters accordingly. Current subscription rates are updated on the Advertising Deadlines page.
Both newsletters are electronic-only, and emailed in HTML format to subscribers. Leadership Matters is an ICMA member benefit.
- Both newsletters are now weekly, distributed every Tuesday. To ensure your job ad is included in the Tuesday newsletter, you must post it by the Friday before.
- By default, all ads are included in Leadership Matters for no additional charge.
- Ad rates are per newsletter, not per issue of the newsletter. Your ad will appear in every issue of the newsletter you select for the ad's live duration (typically eight newsletter issues).
- CAO and Deputy CAO ads appear in both newsletters, inclusive of the price.
The deadline is the Friday of each week for the newsletters that come out the following Tuesday. See Advertising Deadlines for more details.
In most cases, no. ICMA's job center is tax-exempt and all ads should be public service-related. In some instances, we will allow placement for private sector positions if they are related to local government executive search (hiring a new staffer at a search firm), or a consulting firm that serves local communities as a majority of their portfolio. In either case, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and pricing information. We accept all non-profit or local government/local agency ads.
First, when you enter the name of your local government or organization, be sure that you have the radio-button selected for the correct type (local government or other).
Next, when you enter the name of the hiring organization, start with the organization name only leave out the words city, town, county, etc. (for example, San Antonio or Bend).
If the list of communities is long, adding the state (for example, San Antonio, TX) will filter your results.
If your local government or organization still does not appear in the list, please complete our online request form and we will add it to our database and notify you when it is available.
Absolutely -- purchase orders are integrated into the new platform for local government employers. If you are with a recruiting firm or other advertisers that is not a local government, you may request PO access by emailing email@example.com.
The mailing address is printed on the top of the invoice/receipt. All purchase order payments should be mailed to:
PO Box 79403
Baltimore, MD 21279-0403
Ads can take up to 2 hours to appear in the search results. If you would like your ad to have a delayed launch, email firstname.lastname@example.org before you complete the payment process. so we can code it for a delayed posting.
Yes! Receipts and invoices are built-in to the new system. You can see your complete job history under My Account and print out a receipt or invoice copy at any time. You will also receive a copy of your receipt or invoice by email after your ad has been posted. Receipts include complete cost and payment information, as well as a copy of the job ad.
If you get to the end of your transaction, enter your credit card details and submit the ad, and are rudely greeted by an orange alert that declares, "Your transaction was declined [Code: 12]" this is an issue between Verisign and the credit card provider. To resolve, contact your card company and authorize ICMA's Job Center as a vendor, then comeback to icma.org/myjobs to complete your transaction. If you attempt this and still get the error, contact ICMA customer service.
One of the several features that sets ICMA's Job Center apart from the competition is that job ads are tagged to topic areas on the ICMA website.
Topic tags ensure that your job ads appear across our Web site, on topic pages, in groups, and near relevant discussions. For example, an ad for Sustainability Manager would appear on the Sustainability topic page, in the Sustainability group, or with the Brownfields or Solar Communities groups, helping your ad reach a wider and more relevant audience beyond just the Job Center itself and through the newsletter.
The topic area you select will determine how your ad will be grouped in the job section of the newsletters. CAO and Deputy CAO ads will appear under their own heading. You may select one primary topic (for display consistency). We will add back the ability to have additional tags in the future.
You may edit a number of fields:
- Ad text
- Department selection (for newsletter placement)
- Salary Range
- Application Deadline, Start Date
- ICMA-CM Credential
- Reference #
- How to Apply
To edit an ad, select the "edit" button for the ad you want to change on "my job ads." If you need to make a change to a field that is related to cost (job function, newsletter, or other distribution) email email@example.com and we can assist you.
ICMA does not accept job ads sent by fax or email.
Our platform was built to be self-service. Staff are available to help with Web issues; discuss strategies for getting the best return on your ad investment; troubleshoot system errors; and general assistance.
We have a number of new features in the works:
- Job seeker profiles (expanded from Who's Who)
- Community profiles - build a profile for your community to help the job seeker understand your environment
- Mentor match
- State affiliate posting
- More advertising options
- Location info (e.g. distance from target location), weather, cost of living, and other data to assist the job seeker
- Reporting tools
If you have a question that wasn't answered here, or a suggestion to improve our job board, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll be glad to help!