OUR VISION and MISSION help fuel your passion for public service, a spirit of innovation, and the pursuit of knowledge, career excellence and success for you and the community you serve.
ICMA's Executive Board is comprised of members, just like you, who have experienced ICMA for a number of years and know the value that membership brings when you are actively involved. For detailed information on each board member, visit the webpage.
ICMA ONLINE Our web site and social media tools are valuable resources and will help you to make the most of your membership. Bookmark us at icma.org for information on the following:
- ICMA Member Benefits
- Our weekly member newsletter: Leadership Matters
- Local Gov Life Podcast: a mix of stories, insights, and advice from local government leaders
- Online member spotlight gallery
- Our members-only webinar archive (type "free" in the search box)
- And more!
Connect with ICMA on our Social Networks
Want to take your networking online? Be sure to join our ICMA Social Networks. You can connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube! Get Connected here.
Want to meet new people and gain new skills? Volunteer! Get more involved with the world’s largest and most inclusive professional association of local government management professionals.
Only members can volunteer, and this is a fantastic way to participate in ICMA. With nearly a dozen committees to choose from, there are many ways to get involved. Time commitments vary with each position and we’re happy to help you find the right match for your skills, interests and time constraints. For more information on volunteer opportunities, visit Get Involved.
GETTING THE MOST OUT OF YOUR MEMBERSHIP
We promised to give you some tools and now it’s up to you to start using them. If you follow our guidelines and use this checklist, you'll get a great return on your membership investment.
- Update your address book with the names and contact information for these people that can help you to get the most out of your membership (see the list that follows)
- Update or complete your online profile.
- Register for our next event and show up ready to learn and network.
- Plan to attend the Regional Summit in your region.
- Visit icma.org often and bookmark the website.
- Verify your Email Communications - Email is our primary mode of communication for upcoming events and our newsletters. Please put email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org into your address book, so that it is in your “safe sender” list
- Review the Members-Only Free Resources - As a member, you can make use of the abundance of free resources at our website. You will also have access to a growing list of members-only content on icma.org, including the members-only webinar archive.
Midwest Region: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, and Wisconsin
Mountain Plains Region: Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Idaho, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming
Mountain Plains Regional Director: Karen Daley, former city manager of Hutto, TX, email@example.com
Northeast Region: Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont
Southeast Region: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia
West Coast Region: Alaska, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington
If you have any questions, contact: Member Services: firstname.lastname@example.org
WITHIN THE FIRST THREE MONTHS OF YOUR MEMBERSHIP
- Investigate volunteer opportunities on one of the committees. Don’t be afraid of giving up too much time, our committees are structured around volunteers; we understand the value of your time.
- Join a committee, by this time you should have had an opportunity to find out what all of our committees do. Your active involvement in a committee will allow you an opportunity to work alongside some of the brightest minds in local government.
WITHIN THE FIRST SIX MONTHS OF YOUR MEMBERSHIP
- You should have received your membership materials from ICMA by now. Review the opportunities for attending some of the workshops, webinars and other professional development and leadership programs that are coordinated by ICMA University.
- Attend as many programs as your schedule allows. Your active involvement in our programs will provide you with great educational material as well as a chance to network with other local government professionals
- Recruit a few new members. When you have a good thing, share it with others that you know can benefit as you have.
WITHIN THE FIRST YEAR OF YOUR MEMBERSHIP
- Renew your membership and more importantly, your commitment to remain as an active member of ICMA.
CONTACT US - We're Here For You
Member & Customer Support
202-962-3680 (in Washington DC)