CHIEF EQUITY OFFICER
County of San Mateo
$140,275 - $175,385 Annually
San Mateo County is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Chief Equity Officer. The Chief Equity Officer plans, organizes, directs and manages all functions that support Countywide equity efforts; evaluates, establishes, designs, leads and implements programs, policies and practices that advance systematic changes in areas where the County has control or influence to address the cumulative impacts of institutional and structural inequities; serves as a champion for the delivery of County services through an equity lens and deepens current diversity and inclusion efforts by coordinating activities with other County departments, officials, outside agencies and the public; identifies areas of structural and systemic racial and economic disparity in the community while simultaneously cultivating partnerships and networks with communities to create meaningful institutional changes; and provides highly responsible and complex professional assistance to the County Manager and Board of Supervisors.
Minimum qualifications include a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in
public policy, sociology, education, ethnic studies, public relations, social work, public health, public administration, or a related field; five years of experience in the administration of community, public policy, educational or social justice programs, including at least 3 years at a management level and a demonstrated track record of success engaging with underserved and marginalized communities; and experience making transformational changes to benefit these communities.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate is knowledgeable and has experience in the following:
• Diversity, equity and inclusion research base and best practices for organizations striving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive
• Social, political and environmental issues influencing equity program development and implementation
• Principles and practices of community and public relations
• Cultural competencies and intercultural communication to facilitate dialogue and cooperation with diverse groups of community members
• Principles and practices of effective institutional change management
• Correlations between past and present racial inequities and the current impacts within the public and private sector
• Budget management to accomplish equity goals and initiatives in a cost-effective and efficient way
• Complex systems such as health, education and public safety and how lack of access to housing and employment drive undesirable outcomes for people of color and other underrepresented and at-risk communities and groups within San Mateo County
• Group facilitation and effective communication techniques to thoughtfully engage in courteous and difficult conversations about race, anti-racism, diversity and inclusion
• Policy analysis and methods of developing and advocating for public policies specific to equity issues
• Applicable Federal, State and local laws, regulatory codes, ordinances and procedures relevant to assigned area of responsibility, including knowledge/familiarity of employment/HR laws, public sector civil service rules, policies and procedures
• Techniques for effectively representing the County in contacts with governmental agencies, community groups and various business, professional, educational, regulatory and legislative organizations
Final Filing Date: January 25, 2021
For more information, view our online brochure at: https://jobs.smcgov.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Chief-Equity-Officer-...
How to Apply:
To apply for this exciting career opportunity, the following materials must be submitted online at https://jobs.smcgov.org
2. Detailed cover letter that discusses the following topics:
• How have you prioritized diversity, inclusion and equity in your professional career? Describe
your work experience interacting with and providing services for culturally diverse groups and
• Describe your greatest success that demonstrates your executive leadership skills. Explain
what you did and the impact on the organization.
To learn more about this amazing career opportunity and how to apply, read our job posting at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sanmateo/jobs/2945415/chief-equit.... Applications are only accepted online. EOE