The City of Virginia Beach has a unique opportunity for a motivated professional to develop and implement a comprehensive performance management system. The successful candidate will lead the City's performance management process, leveraging data to drive decision making and enhance services to our citizens. Specifically, this position will:
• Lead performance review (“stat”) sessions based on executive briefings developed by a team of analysts, the data reported by departments, and the City Manager’s priorities.
• Provide leadership and direction for the City’s data strategy. Manage a team of analysts that prepare executive briefings regarding department performance across a broad range of City departments and operations.
• Develop meaningful key performance indicators (KPIs) for departments participating in the stat process.
• Automate performance reporting and visualization of the KPIs as groups of KPIs are standardized.
• Increase access to City data both internally and externally.
• Identify opportunities for advanced analytics that support the priorities of the administration.
• Facilitate process improvement training to increase the ranks of employees within departments fluent in translating data, process mapping, and performance improvement.
• Coordinate improvement sessions applying Lean Six Sigma principles to broken processes that are causing performance deficits as measured by KPIs discussed in the “stat” process.
• Prioritize processes that should be reviewed in-depth.
• Ensure follow-up on action items identified in performance review sessions.
• Coordinate an annual strategic planning and performance agreement process that establishes expectations for the departments.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Related Bachelor's degree and Master's degrees with major coursework in public administration, planning, geography, sociology, statistics, or similar field and (4) years of progressively responsible experience related to implementing performance management and metrics, process improvement and re-engineering, or strategic planning; OR any combination of education and experience equivalent to (10) years utilizing the representative knowledge, skills, and abilities as described.
Attachments Required: Cover letter and resume
Salary Range : $91,915.20 - $139,339.20 DOQ
The ideal candidate will have knowledge of performance management programs, CitiStat programs, and accountability models that foster cultures of continuous improvement. They will have skill in strategic planning, leading the process of distilling broad City strategic goals and objectives into short and long-term action plans and coordinating their efforts in implementation. Experience in oversight of a comprehensive performance management program, including design and development of performance management agreements preferred.
This position will be advertised until filled; however, the first review of applicant credentials will occur by February 7th. Any applications submitted after February 7th will only be considered if the pool of applicants needs to be expanded.
• Please complete the application in its entirety. The application is the primary required document used to screen qualifications and years of experience. A resume does not replace a completed application. Fields on the application left blank, including but not limited to job duties, dates of employment, and hours worked, may cause your application to be incomplete.
• You will not be able to access the details of this job ad once the closing date has passed. If you would like to retain this information, please take a screen shot or print using your browser's printing capability.
• Your responses to any "Supplemental Questions", if attached to this requisition, must be supported by the information you give us in the work experience section of this application. Be sure you are thorough in describing your skills and duties as you complete the work experience section. If the information cannot be verified, you will not receive credit.
• Please provide a copy of any certifications or related professional licenses.
Click on the link below for a brochure on this position: