Under general supervision, performs skilled journey level work in the maintenance and repair of plumbing systems at various City facilities; may perform a wide variety of building and property maintenance related tasks.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
• Requires a high school diploma or G.E.D. and the equivalent of five (5) years’ experience in plumbing system installation and repair work.
• Requires the possession of a valid Journeyman Plumber’s Certificate issued by the Pinellas County Construction Licensing Board, or have the ability to obtain this certificate within one year of employment. Requires a valid Florida driver license.
• Work involves travel in and around the City performing work in a typical construction environment that includes adverse and at times unpleasant conditions; requires moderate physical effort with frequent need to get into difficult positions, endure long periods of standing or walking, and occasionally needs to bend/stoop, kneel, climb, push/pull, reach, and lift/carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds without assistance.
• Requires manual dexterity to effectively work with various hand and/or power tools.
• This position is assigned the status of Emergency Critical Personnel for the purpose of work assigned before, during, and after a disaster-related event.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
• Performs work in connection with the installation, maintenance, and repair of plumbing systems, equipment, and components for City buildings, apparatus, and facilities.
• Performs rough and finish plumbing work; installs, repairs, and modifies water distribution piping and sanitary sewer piping; assembles, installs, maintains, and pressure tests all pipes, fittings, and fixtures of heating, water, drainage, sprinkler, and gas systems according to specifications and plumbing codes.
• Lays out work, prepares sketches and diagrams, and estimates time and materials required for assigned tasks. Works with outside contractors in performing maintenance on City facilities and equipment.
• Performs common tasks related to the operational needs and upkeep of facilities. Utilizes the City’s electronic systems in order to facilitate the assignment and prioritization of work orders, and for record keeping, communication, and customer service.
• Establishes and maintains cooperative and effective working relationships with co-workers and management; works independently or as part of a team.
• May be required to work a variety of work schedules including compulsory work periods in special, emergency and/or disaster situations. Performs related Public Works duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of local and state regulatory plumbing codes and requirements; the methods, materials, techniques, tools, and equipment used; general principles and practices of building maintenance; and safe work practices and occupational hazards.
• Ability to read and interpret blueprints, diagrams, schematics, and written reference material; diagnose and resolve problems; use hand and power tools; provide excellent customer service, attention to detail and follow-up; communicate effectively both orally and in written form; and work independently and in a team environment.
• Skill in performing plumbing maintenance and repairs according to county/state regulations; and managing time effectively and completing assignments in a timely fashion.