Job Description Summary: The Public Works Director plans, organizes, directs and coordinates the activities for the divisions within the Public Works Department, and provides input and managerial control over the City’s Capital Improvement Program.
Nature and Scope: The Public Works Director, appointed by the City Manager, is a senior director position within the City organization. The Director meets with the City Manager to provide information on activities within the Department and to seek guidance on issues as appropriate.
The Public Works Director works with other Senior Directors and the HR Manager on various matters pertaining to the Public Works Department and Capital Improvement Projects. Additionally, the Director will work with many groups and individual citizens on public works issues and resolving complaints or answering questions about services.
The Director will have extensive involvement with state agency officials such as the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency, the Ohio Department of Transportation; the Federal Aviation Administration, the Federal Transit Administration; and consultants commissioned by the City for the performance of various planning, design and construction matters. The Director will also interact with various other Federal, State, City and County elected and appointed officials.
• Other Requirements Demonstrated ability to work well with people.
• Demonstrated sound organizational skills through management experience.
• Being able to communicate well verbally and in writing.
• Demonstrated skills to manage the financial matters of a multi-division department.
• Experience in applying microcomputer technology.
• The ability to drive to various sites throughout the City to inspect project quality and status.
• Normal or corrected vision and hearing capabilities within limits set by the City’s physical examination standards.
• Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering.
• Possession of Professional Engineering Certification from the State of Ohio or the ability to obtain certification within six (6) months of hire.
• Experience in a municipal or county public works organization, with five (5) years of supervisory experience, preferably in the State of Ohio.
• Comprehensive knowledge of the principals and practices of civil engineering in the areas of development review; design and inspection of water, sewer, and storm water systems; design and inspection of streets, bridges, and traffic engineering; and related projects.
• Experience in the development and construction of public works projects including surveying, legal descriptions, plan preparation, specifications, estimates, and planning.
• A valid State of Ohio driver’s license or ability to obtain within 6 months.
Other Desired Qualification/Skills
• General knowledge of a broad range of public works services.
• A registered surveyor licensed in the State of Ohio is desirable