Performs highly responsible management, administrative, and professional duties as the Chief Executive Officer of the city. Exercises a high degree of independence, initiative, and professional expertise in the administration and day to day management of the city in accordance with policy established by City Council, and city, state, and federal laws, regulations, and guidelines. This position serves as the city’s Chief Executive Officer and has overall responsibility for all city departments, including Community Services, Community Development, Financial Services, Fire, General Services, Public Works, and Police. Provides leadership, supervision, and general direction for the city management team in order to coordinate efforts toward achieving departmental objectives.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Manages and supervises all departments, agencies and offices of the city to achieve goals within available resources; plans and organizes workloads and staff assignments; trains, motivates and evaluates assigned staff; reviews progress and directs changes as needed.
• Provides leadership and direction in the development of short- and long-range plans; gathers, interprets, and prepares data for studies, reports and recommendations; coordinates department activities with other departments and agencies as needed.
• Provides professional advice to the city Council and department heads; makes presentations to councils, boards, commissions, civic groups and the public.
• Communicates official plans, policies and procedures to staff and the public.
• Ensures that assigned areas of responsibility are performed within budget; performs cost control activities; monitors revenues and expenditures in assigned area to assure sound fiscal control; prepares annual budget requests; ensures effective and efficient use of budgeted funds, personnel, materials, facilities, and time.
• Responds to and resolves difficult and sensitive employee, resident and other stakeholder inquiries and complaints.
• Determines work procedures, prepares work schedules, and expedites workflow; studies and standardizes procedures in order to improve efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
• Issues written and oral instructions; assigns duties and examines work for exactness, neatness, and conformance to policies and procedures.
• Maintains harmony among workers and resolves grievances.
• Performs or assists subordinates in performing duties; adjusts errors and complaints.
• Prepares a variety of studies, reports and related information for decision-making purposes.
• Appoints and removes all department heads and employees of the city, except the City Attorney, the City Magistrate and the City Clerk.
• Ensures all laws and ordinances are faithfully performed.
• Prepares and submits a preliminary annual City budget.
• Administers the adopted budget of the City.
• Advises the City Council of financial conditions and current and future city needs.
• Attends all meetings of the Council at which attendance may be required by the Council.
• Exercises supervision over all municipal employees either directly or through subordinate supervisors except for the Magistrate Court and City Attorney.
• Recommends for adoption by the council such measures as manager may deem necessary or expedient.
• Prepares and submits to the council such reports as may be required by that body or as manager may deem it advisable to submit.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in public administration, political science or business management, and
• Five (5) years of related experience;
• Previous knowledge and experience in Tribal relations; especially with border communities near Tribal lands, preferred.
• Previous knowledge and experience with economic development specifically with National Park destination cities, preferred.
• Previous knowledge and experience with VRBO housing issues, preferred.
• Previous knowledge and experience with a tourism-based economy and the annual events that they of market brings to a city, preferred.
• Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Licenses or Certifications:
• Valid State driver’s license upon employment.
• Must be bondable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of modern policies and practices of public administration.
• Knowledge of municipal finance, human resources, public works, public safety, and community development.
• Skill in preparing and administering municipal budgets.
• Skill in planning, directing and administering municipal programs.
• Skill in the use small office equipment, including copy machines or multi-line telephone systems.
• Ability to supervise, organize, and communicate effectively.
• Ability to prepare and analyze comprehensive reports.
• Ability to carry out assigned projects to their completion.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, city officials and the public.
• Ability to efficiently and effectively administer a municipal government.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must exert up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force to move objects. The following physical abilities are required: fingering, hearing, speaking, and talking.
The work requires decision making that could lead to major community or organizational consequences if this position fails to make the appropriate decision at the time.