The City of Pittsfield is seeking an experienced management professional with exceptional leadership skills to serve as its next Commissioner of Public Services and Public Utilities. The Commissioner of Public Utilities and Services provides highly responsible administrative and supervisory work in the establishment of policies and procedures to ensure the effective operation of the City’s Public Utilities and Public Services departments. These departments include municipal street and highway system(s), parks maintenance, vehicle service/garage, water/wastewater, engineering, and other public works functions assigned to the department.
• Plans, coordinates, directs, supervises and prioritizes the programs and activities of the Departments including the coordination of employees, equipment and supplies; develops both short and long-term plans to meet the Departments’ needs and emerging issues.
• Prepares and oversees the administration of the operating and capital budgets for public utilities & services.
• Consults other departments on various projects and business that intersect with public utilities and services.
• Develops and implements appropriate department rules, regulations and policies to ensure safe and efficient operations.
• Reviews and approves the requisitions of department equipment, materials and supplies as well as department expenditures.
• Participates in collective bargaining matters pertaining to various department/division personnel.
• Supervises construction projects either performed in-house by DPU/DPS staff or by contracted vendors; develops standards to ensure project quality and timeliness.
• Recommends usage fees and fee rates for service and inspection programs of the Department. Prepares schedules, formulates and fees for water/sewer assessments and use charges.
• Manages and coordinates federal and state grant programs and accounts for grant funds in collaboration with the Department of Finance.
• Promotes and maintains effective community relations and represents the Departments and the City with the electronic and print media; collaborates with the Mayor’s Office on PR matters.
• Performs other such duties as may be required or assigned
• Bachelor’s degree with specialization in public or business administration, engineering, construction management, or related field
• Ten (10) years or more of progressively responsible experience, with a minimum of five (5) years in a supervisory position.
• Any equivalent combinations of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential function of the job shall be acceptable.
• Strong, effective management and leadership skills; skill in developing policies and procedures to accomplish goals and objectives; imagination, innovation and judgment relating to planning and achieving department goals.
• Ability to plan, assign and supervise the work of groups of employees engaged in a variety of public works construction and maintenance operations
• Establishes and maintains collaborative and harmonious working relationships with City officials and departments, state agencies and the general public; ability to deal with employees tactfully and effectively and maintain positive relations.
• Comprehensive technical and practical knowledge of the materials, methods and techniques relative to public works projects and construction contract administration and estimations; thorough knowledge of public works financing and civil engineering practices and techniques.
• Thorough knowledge of Massachusetts General Laws and regulations regarding procurement regulations and bidding procedures as well as the State Civil service Rules and regulations, solid waste and land use; knowledge of snow and ice control techniques and practices.
• Communicates effectively in written and oral form; ability to prepare and administer budgets and to prepare in-depth reports and translate technical information into laymen’s terms.
• Proficient computer and internet skills, especially in Microsoft Office programs.
Monday – Friday, 7:30AM – 4:00PM