The Local Government Management Fellowship (LGMF) is a career-development opportunity designed to attract recent MPA/MPP (or related programs) graduates to be placed in full-time management-track local government positions. Finalists are selected based on academic performance, demonstrated leadership potential, commitment to public service, communication skills, initiative, creativity, and positive attitude. They then interview for 12-month fellowship appointments at local governments across the country, during which they receive direct mentorship from a senior government leader at the organization. (Appointments may be extended beyond the one-year term.)
Since the program's launch in 2004, 30 alumni fellows have been hired as chief administrative officers or assistant chief administrative officers; many others are in senior positions in local government. See where Fellows are now.
To be eligible to participate in the Local Government Management Fellowship, applicants must:
- Be a recent graduate or student enrolled in a public administration, public policy, or related field master's degree program at a NASPAA-member school
- Satisfy all of the requirements for their degree program by August 31 of the year of the fellowship
- Have no formal local government management work experience
- Be eligible to work in the United States
- Complete the LGMF application by the closing date
Salaries & Benefits Packages:
Salaries and benefits packages for fellows vary based on a number of factors and are determined by the host city. Both will be discussed with fellows at the end of the interview process, if they are to be offered a position with the host city.
Those individuals placed in an LGMF host community receive:
- Complimentary ICMA Membership for two years
- Complimentary registration to ICMA Annual Conference
- Complimentary registration to an ICMA Regional Conference
- Complimentary access to ICMA's Applied Knowledge Assessment
- Complimentary subscription to PM Magazine
Questions? Contact ICMA via email at email@example.com.
- Become a Fellow
- Frequently Asked Questions (Fellows)
- LGMF Placement Regions
- Where Fellows Are Now
- Fellow Directory
- Sign Up to Host
- Share a Fellow
ICMA thanks NEOGOV for providing their automated hiring tool for the LGMF program to manage the online application, review, and placement process of the next generation of local government managers.