The City of Bluefield seeks a visionary leader to be its next City Manager. The ideal candidate will be a results-driven strategic thinker with exceptional financial management skills, a strong customer service focus, and a commitment to the community.
Bluefield, “Nature’s Natural Air-Conditioned City”, is nestled in southern West Virginia and is the southern gateway to the Hatfield-McCoy ATV trail system. It is in the heart of Appalachia and conveniently located off Exit 1 of I-77. The City boasts a plethora of historical homes, unique restaurants, extensive parks and trails and a full selection of cultural and arts amenities. Bluefield is a beautiful, welcoming city known for its hospitality, outdoor activities and hometown feel. Our city is forward-moving, with an energetic eye on the future. The City of Bluefield is embarking upon several large, transformative projects that will bring vibrancy and life to this historical city. With a positive energetic Board of Directors and an actively involved community, Bluefield is poised for greatness.
The City is home to approximately 10,000 residents and is ranked the 3rd safest city in West Virginia. Bluefield State College (HBCU), Mercer County Board of Education and Alorica are the largest employers inside the city limits. Bluefield is a home rule city operating under the City Manager/Board of Directors form of government. The Mayor and the City’s four Directors, who are elected in three Districts and two at large, constitute the elected leadership. The Board appoints a City Manager who acts as the chief administrative officer for the City, overseeing the day-to-day operations of the City, which includes a full array of municipal services. Approximately 135 full-time employees and 15-30 seasonal or part-time employees, depending upon the time of the year, fulfill those services. The FY 2020-21 Budget is approximately $17 Million.
• Working with the management team, plans, organizes, coordinates, and maintains management over the day-to-day administration of the city.
• Attend and coordinate all meetings of the Board of Directors.
• Makes recommendations to the Board of Directors as deemed necessary or expedient.
• Identifies future needs, and plans appropriately for short and long term goals and objectives.
• Maintains and strengthens relationships with partner agencies.
• Meets with citizens and citizen groups to discuss their issues and concerns.
• Maintains a positive relationship with citizens, Board of Directors, and employees.
• Interprets and administers Board policy.
• Administers employee disciplinary actions, or makes recommendations to the Board as needed.
• Creates and submits reports as required.
• Monitors the revenues and expenditures on an ongoing basis, and advises the Board on the financial condition of the City.
• Participates in the preparation and administration of the City budget.
• Maintains liaison with various federal, state, and local agencies, as well as political and business leaders
• Assists the Mayor and Directors in performing public relations duties, including interacting with the media.
• An effective and passionate advocate for the City
• In conjunction with the Treasurer establishes realistic budget plans and demonstrates fiscal accountability.
• Manages resources to maximize efficiency and effectiveness; recognizes and effectively leverages employee’s skills and abilities.
• Supports a positive team environment in which employees participate, respect and cooperate with each other to achieve desired results.
• Ability to work cooperatively with people of diverse cultural identities.
• Maintains a respectful, diverse and inclusive work environment where decisions and transactions are transparent and objective
• Economic development and redevelopment (downtown and residential)
• Intergovernmental and community relations
• Working knowledge and appreciation of Information Technology
• Working knowledge of grant writing
• Knowledge of state legislative processes and sunshine laws
• Understands Public Safety
• Diplomatically persuasive
• Provides clear directions and expectations and manages for successful outcomes
• Easily accessible – open door policy
• Listens and is open to new ideas
• Engaged; attends civic and community meetings
• Visible; attends community events
• Active and collaborative involvement
• Requires a combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration or similar field (Master's degree and ICMA credentialing are preferred qualifications but not required), and at least 5 years of increasingly responsible local or federal government management experience.
• Preference for budget experience of $10 million or more and a portfolio demonstrating ability to secure funding for varied projects.
• Membership in the Internal City/County Management Association preferred.
• The successful candidate will be politically astute, have exceptional interpersonal skills and enjoy community involvement. He or she should possess superior management, decision-making, and leadership abilities.
• An equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge and skills may also be considered.
Compensation and Benefits:
Employees receive a comprehensive benefits package including pension benefits, medical, dental, vision, life, disability insurance, paid vacation, and paid sick leave, along with WV State 457 retirement option. The salary for the position is negotiable based on qualifications and experience. Residency within the City of Bluefield is required within one year.
Please note that satisfactory completion of a drug test, background check, and credit check is a condition of employment.
Send cover letter addressed to: Mayor Ron Martin, with salary requirements and resume to City Clerk, 200 Rogers Street, Bluefield, WV 24701, or email email@example.com.
Closing date for receipt of letters of interest and supporting documentation is March 31, 2021, with initial screening and interviews beginning February 22, 2021.
The City of Bluefield is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Values Diversity