CITY OF PANAMA CITY
Job Title: Fire Chief
Annual Pay: $82, 907.41
Plus competitive benefit package.
Type of position:
Hours: 40 /week
Plans, directs, and coordinates activities of the municipal Fire Department, including fire prevention and suppression, disaster planning, hazardous material mitigation training, education and by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervisors. This is responsible administrative and technical work involving the financial management, personnel management, and operations of the Fire Department. The Fire Chief exercises supervisor control over all members of the department. Work is performed under the general supervision of the City Manager. Administrative actions and fire prevention standards are subject to the legal limitations imposed by law and ordinance. Work is reviewed by observation of the results obtained and conferences on difficult policy matters.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Develops, plans, and implements fire department goals, objectives, rules, regulations, and work methods that comply with Federal, State, and local laws and in response to assessment of community needs.
• Establishes, within policy guidelines, appropriate service and staffing levels. Interviews and recommends prospective firefighters and staff promotions. Chairs and conducts staff meetings as necessary. Transfers and assigns personnel to duty assignments. Effects suspensions and recommends demotion or termination of employees, as necessary, subject to Civil Service Rules and Regulations and incompliance with the firefighter’s Bill of Rights. Monitors and authorizes overtime.
• Coordinates, administers, and monitors fire and emergency response activities, personnel, and programs. Visits fire stations and the training academy periodically to inspect maintenance and emergency operations.
• Provides consultation and staff assistance to City Manager, Assist City Manager, Commission, Mayor and other governmental officials.
• Prepares and justifies budget for consideration by City Manager, City Commission and Mayor.
• Directs the selection, supervision, training, development, and discipline of department personnel. Teaches and exemplifies advanced courses relating to leadership, administration, fire tactics and strategies, and arson investigation.
• Evaluates fire prevention and fire control policies by keeping well-informed of new methods and conducting studies of departmental operations.
• Assumes personal command at multiple alarm fires.
• Coordinates mutual fire protection plans, emergency responses, and other department activities with surrounding jurisdictions, other departments, and organizations.
• Confers with officials and community groups and conducts public relations campaigns to present need for changes in laws and policies and to encourage fire prevention.
• Directs investigations into causes of fires and inspections of buildings for fire hazards.
• Makes final interpretation of fire and building regulations, ordinances, codes, and applicable laws to ensure compliance and consistency.
• Coordinates and prepares a variety of plans, reports, presentations, and records.
• Controls issue of occupancy permits and similar licenses.
• Prepares and coordinates specifications and purchase of fire apparatus and equipment. Assists in planning for new construction and renovations of fire stations, training facilities, etc.
• Participates in employee relations activities related to the fire department, including providing advice and assistance for management negotiations.
Manages subordinate supervisors who supervise a total of 83 employees in the Fire Department. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, procedures and equipment used in modern firefighting and fire prevention for the protection of life and property from fire damage. Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of modern fire department administration. Must have excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
Competencies - To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
• Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
• Visionary Leadership - Displays passion and optimism; Inspires respect and trust; mobilizes others to fulfill the vision; Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates.
• Delegation - Delegates work assignments; Aligns authority with responsibility; Gives authority to work independently; Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; Provides recognition for results.
• Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
• Managing People - Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; Makes self-available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; Continually works to improve supervisory skills.
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
• Diversity - Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educates others on the value of diversity; Promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization's goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
• Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
• Judgement - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
• Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
• Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
• Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
• Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
Master's degree (M. A.) in Public Administration or related field required; or ten years progressively responsible firefighting experience; four years of which must be in a supervisory capacity of Battalion Chief, equivalent or above. Certification in Fire Fighting Standards with Florida State Firefighter II certification is required. A current Florida Driver’s License is also required. Speaks fluent English.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Occasionally - lift and/or move more than 100 pounds , crawl, drive standard
Frequently - stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear, lift and/or move up to 100 pounds, drive automatic
Constantly - type/keyboard
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions; extreme heat; risk of electrical shock; explosives; risk of radiation and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
These are intended only as illustrations of various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. 08/31/2020