City Administrator - Sunset Hills, Missouri
Incorporated in 1957, Sunset Hills is an attractive, stable community conveniently located in southwest St. Louis County, in close proximity to many regional sites and amenities. Sunset Hills is served by the prestigious Lindbergh School District and boasts an extensive park system and high-quality recreational facilities.
The City is seeking a candidate for the position of City Administrator. Knowledge of the principles and practices of public administration is essential, and must be an energetic, “can-do” person with a genuine enthusiasm for municipal service. The City has approximately 75 full-time employees plus 50 seasonal, within Police, Parks, Public Works, and Administration.
As the City Administrator the successful applicant must have the ability to represent Sunset Hills in a positive manner to the public and other governmental units, to communicate in a fair and effective manner, and to develop strong employee morale that results in high levels of productivity and service to the community. The City Administrator works under the policy guidance and direction of the Board of Aldermen and the supervision of the Mayor.
Principal duties include:
• Develop, implement, and enforce policies and procedures for the Board of Aldermen for efficient and effective municipal operations; communicates these policies to city employees.
• Develop and administer city regulations, policies, and procedures as prescribed by ordinances and as dictated by the mayor and Board of Aldermen.
• Inform the Board of Aldermen of progress and information to aid legislative and policy-making decisions.
• Perform public relations on behalf of the city as directed by the mayor and Board of Aldermen.
• Respond to correspondence directed to city officials as directed by the Mayor and the Board of Aldermen.
• Supervise, implement, and enforce administrative actions concerning various employee activities, and human resources functions as outlined in the personnel policies.
• Assist in the preparation of the city budget and in the formulation of the city financial policies.
Applicants must possess a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited 4-year college or university in public administration or related field. A Master’s degree in Public or Business Administration is strongly desired. At least five years of experience in public administration is preferred, with at least 2 years as a city manager or administrator, or as an assistant or department director in a comparable or larger community. Employment is subject to a background check and drug test.