The City of St. Joseph (pop. 76,780) is seeking a City Manager. Located just 30 miles north of Kansas City, St. Joseph offers a thriving business climate with a diversified employment base. Declared a manufacturing hotspot by Industry Week magazine, St. Joseph has also experienced substantial growth in the service sector and is a regional leader in agricultural science.
The City Manager reports directly to the City Council and is the Chief Administrative Officer of the City. The City has an annual general fund budget of $163 million and a workforce of 653 full-time employees.
Responsibilities of the City Manager include:
• Prepare and submit the annual City budget and capital program to the Council.
• Prepare and update a long-range financial and capital plan for all major projects.
• Represent the City Council in labor relations/negotiations.
• Oversee human resource activities including updating the City personnel policies, recruitment activities and recommendations related to filling department director vacancies, coordinating the employee compensation plan, and administering employee benefits.
• Provide insight on economic development opportunities to City Council.
• Administer ordinances and resolutions adopted by the City Council.
• Direct and supervise the administration of all departments, offices, and agencies of the City, except as otherwise provided by the City Charter or by law.
The successful candidate will hold a bachelor’s degree in business or public administration, finance, or a related field, with a master’s degree preferred, and a minimum of seven years’ experience in local government. The ideal candidate will have a strong and proven financial management and administrative background.
The selected candidate can anticipate a negotiable starting salary in the $150,000 range based upon the qualifications and experience. A competitive benefits package is offered which includes relocation assistance, vehicle allowance, deferred compensation, participation in Missouri LAGERs Retirement Program, medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, and cell phone benefits. The City Manager is required to reside within the corporate limits of St. Joseph.