The City of Sterling Heights, MI (pop. 129,699 - 2010) is the second largest suburb in Metro Detroit and the fourth largest city in Michigan. Sterling Heights was incorporated in 1968 and consistently ranks as “safest city in Michigan” with populations over 100,000. The city is 36.8 mi2 and is 16 miles from Downtown Detroit. The City’s southern border is 6 miles from Detroit’s northern border. The city’s high quality of life is rooted in its thriving local economy, wide variety of housing choices, safe neighborhoods, beautiful natural environment, high performing school districts, rich history, and effective local services. The city’s vision is “A vibrant, inclusive community for residents and businesses that is safe, active, progressive and distinctive. Sterling Heights – a bold vision for an exceptional quality of life.”
The City is seeking a full-time Fire Chief to lead a full-service organization. Fire department staffing consists of 101 full-time sworn personnel providing fire and EMS services from (5) fire stations strategically located throughout the city.
• The department had an overall call volume in 2019 of (16,266) emergency incidents with an average response of (45) emergency responses daily.
• The department proudly has earned an ISO Class 2 PPC rating.
• The Fire Chief is supported by one Assistant Chief, one Fire Marshal, one Chief of Training, three Battalion Chiefs with administrative support staff and shift personnel.
• The department operates from (3) Divisions, Fire Prevention, Training and Extinguishment. The Fire Prevention Bureau consists of the Fire Marshal, (4) Inspectors and (1) Firefighter Specialist.
• The full-time personnel are part of the IAFF Local 1557 consisting of 100 members.
• The Training Division is led by the Chief of Training with support from the Emergency Medical Services Coordinator and the Training Officer. The Extinguishment Division is the largest of the three Divisions with 90 firefighters.
The Department provides full fire, emergency medical services to the city and region. E911 emergency communications and operations are provided by Macomb County. The Fire Department’s FY 2020/2021 budget is $22,548,770. The overall 2019-2020 city budget is $213,862,640.
The City seeks:
• An experienced, innovative, collaborative fire/EMS leader with demonstrated managerial, interpersonal and customer service skills.
• A strong communicator with the community, City officials, staff and other stakeholders.
• A commitment to the organization as well as the senior management team of the City with a genuine confidence and approachability to residents, business and governmental leaders.
• A Fire Chief that is an integral and engaged leader, with a strong background in modern fire, EMS, emergency management and all hazards practices.
• A Fire Chief that understands the need to use data for problem solving and community risk reduction efforts.
• The ability to mentor and foster leadership roles within the staff, succession planning and a global vision of the community’s needs and vision are critical. Creativity and the ability to guide and balance change is a must.
Successful candidates should also:
• Possess a bachelor’s degree in Public Safety Leadership, Public Administration or related field from an accredited college or university is required. A master’s degree is highly desired.
• Must have 2-years as an Assistant Chief (or equivalent) and an inclusive of 10 years of senior officer leadership serving a population of 50,000 or greater residents with a comparable budget and personnel staffing levels is required.
• Other additional qualifications include: a graduate of the National Fire Academy Executive Fire Officer, Chief Fire Officer Designation, or similar certifications.
The annual salary range for this position is $95,859 to $133,692 +/- DOQ plus excellent benefits. The City does have a residency requirement in that employees must live in Macomb County and/or within 20 miles of the City’s municipal boundaries at the time of hire or upon completion of the employee’s probationary period.
Candidates should apply by August 14, 2020 with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references to www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of T.E. Sashko, Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, #130, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: 224-282-8313. Sterling Heights, MI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Click Here to Apply!