Arlington County Department of Human Services seeks a strong executive leader with a human services background to champion and orchestrate efforts to support the quality of life for older adults and persons with disabilities. This Aging & Disability Services Division (ADSD) Chief will oversee one of five service divisions in the integrated Department of Human Services. The other four service divisions include Behavioral Health, Child and Family Services, Economic Independence, and Public Health. The ADSD Division Chief oversees more than 80 staff and manages a budget of $23 million.
The ADSD Division Chief will provide leadership in the following areas:
• Community Supports and Coordination Bureau (CSCB). CSCB includes the customer service resource center, nursing case management, congregate meal programs, in-home community living program, adult protective and adult services, adult day program, and the Area Agency on Aging;
• Developmental Disabilities Services Bureau (DDS). DDS includes assessment and support coordination services, residential services, and vocational habilitation services for individuals with developmental disabilities;
• Senior Adult Mental Health Program (SAMH). SAMH provides outpatient behavioral health assessment, treatment, case management, and medication management;
• Northern Virginia Regional Older Adult Facilities Mental Health Support (RAFT) program. RAFT supports older adults with serious mental illness who are living in community residential settings; and
• The Arlington Commission on Aging and the Developmental Disabilities Committee of the local Community Services Board.
The ADSD Division Chief will ensure exceptional customer service which is in alignment with the Department's mission to Strengthen, Protect, and Empower those in need; monitor the performance of the division's work and guide actions to ensure program compliance and positive client outcomes; provide administrative oversight in partnership with a fiscal team and a quality assurance team; serve as a member of the departmental leadership team; and collaborate with other Divisional leadership to fulfill the mission of the department.
The ideal candidate will possess strong communications skills to represent the agency throughout the Arlington community; considerable knowledge of current trends, issues, and legislation which impact human services for older adults and persons with disabilities; demonstrated leadership and a systems-focused and action-oriented, strategic planning background to facilitate organizational change.
Arlington County DHS is committed to delivering client services in an effective, equitable, respectful, and trauma-informed manner. Our staff are dedicated to ensuring our clients are approached, engaged, and cared for in ways that demonstrate competency, sensitivity, and awareness of factors that impact the client experience including but not limited to: cultural identity, gender, racial and ethnic diversity, religious/spiritual ascription, physical capability, cognitive and literacy levels, sexual orientation, and linguistic needs.
A combination of education and experience equivalent to a Master's degree in social work, human services administration, public administration or directly related field, plus highly progressively responsible management experience in human services, especially in one or more of the following types of programs for older adults and persons with disabilities: social services, mental health services, nursing case management, adult day care, intellectual disabilities services, and/or area agency on aging services.
Additional qualifying experience may substitute for the education requirement on a year for year basis
Preference may be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
• Demonstrated exceptional community engagement experience;
• Track record of progressive leadership;
• Clinical license in related field; and
• Record of significant accomplishments in relevant human service programs.
A complete application will include a letter of interest and a resume.
A pre-employment background check will be conducted on candidates selected for employment. The candidate selected will be required to complete a State of Virginia Central Registry check.