Summary: The Street Superintendent position is ideal for a highly motivated professional that will lead the Charlotte Department of Transportation’s (CDOT) Street Maintenance Division. This position is responsible for the management and oversight of all programs and operations under the City’s Street Maintenance Division. The Street Superintendent is responsible for a $36 million maintenance budget, 200+ employees located at three satellite facilities, 5400 miles of streets, and 2000 miles of sidewalks. The Division provides oversight of the City’s inhouse and contracted roadway preservation and reconstruction programs. Also, sidewalks, curb and gutter, accessible ramp maintenance and construction programs, storm water infrastructure maintenance, utility and street cut regulations, and emergency response operations all fall under this division.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Direct and manage a workforce of 225 construction and operations professionals including construction crews, project coordinators, estimators and administration and paraprofessional staff.
• Manage a fleet of over five hundred (500) pieces of heavy and light duty equipment; monitor replacement schedules and direct procurement and maintenance of vehicles and equipment.
• Oversee the City’s annual roadway resurfacing and pavement preservation program. The programs include both traditional pavement resurfacing (mill and overlay) and alternative pavement preservation methods including chip seals, full depth reclamation (FDR) and pavement rejuvenation technologies.
• Coordinate various programs and projects such as roadway improvements, sidewalks and curb & gutter installations, bus pads, Americans with Disabilities Act curb ramps and pedestrian refuge islands to improve pedestrian safety and accessibility.
• Manage the Division’s revenue based operations providing resources (staffing, equipment, contractual services, etc.) to perform storm water infrastructure maintenance services and street cut restorations and monitor and control both revenue and expenditures and prevent any overruns.
• Oversee the Division’s safety and loss prevention programs. Interpret city/department policies to workforce and enforce safety regulation and safe work practices.
• Develop and coordinate annual reporting for the City’s strategic plan and business objectives related to services provided by the Division.
• Communicate with the City Council, City Manager’s Office, Neighborhood Associations and various Special Interest Groups.
• Manage the Division’s emergency response program for inclement winter weather, tornados, hurricanes, flooding, etc. Ensuring all necessary resources and procedures/protocols are in place for the Division to be successful in responding to such events.
• Establish direction in creating an environment that supports learning and development and organizational accountability.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Extensive background and experience in roadway infrastructure maintenance, field operations and asset management.
• Intimate knowledge of the design, construction and environmental and procedural regulations related to building and maintenance of roads and structures.
• Extensive financial and executive level management experience including the ability to oversee budgets, bids, contracts, and audits
• Ability to make business and administrative judgment decisions. Ability to develop, implement and review policies and procedures.
• Strong leadership and human relations/interpersonal skills - ability to train, coach, counsel and discipline employees.
• Ability to develop and complete actions for production, productivity, quality and customer-service standards.
• Ability to prepare and present division updates, professional and technical information and business-related reports to elected officials, neighborhood groups, and other forums.
• registration as NC P.E. is a plus; ten (10) years progressively responsible experience in roadway construction and maintenance, including supervision of field employees.
• Requires BS/BA in engineering, business, public administration or related field and seven (7) years of relevant work experience or MS degree with five (5) years of relevant work experience.