Applicants desiring CONFIDENTIALITY, as provided under Michigan law, must state request in a separate subject line above the body of their cover letter.
DESCRIPTION: The City of Mount Clemens is a full-service City of 7 departments, including its own water plant, consisting of 60 full-time and 9 part-time employees. The City contracts with the Macomb County Sheriff’s Office to provide law enforcement services. Currently, the City operates on a budget of $30 million. Mount Clemens boasts one of the few genuine downtown districts in Macomb County, as well as one of the oldest libraries in the State. Designated as the county seat for Macomb County in 1818, Mount Clemens is comprised of 4.22 square miles with a population of 16,314. The City Manager is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the City Commission. The Mayor is elected for a two-year term and the six-member City Commission is elected at large for four-year terms. The City Manager serves as Chief Executive Officer of the City in accordance with the City Charter, performs high level administrative, technical and professional work in directing and supervising the administration of City government; plans, develops and implements diverse City services to meet policy requirements and address community needs, oversees the organization and direction of all City departments, and ensures compliance with contractual and regulatory obligations. The City Manager keeps the City Commission informed on City affairs, develops and maintains a balanced budget, makes authoritative recommendations to the City Commission and carries out the policies established by it.
1. Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in Public Administration, Political Science, Business Management or a closely related field preferred. Three years of experience as an Administrator preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
2. Must possess strong financial management abilities with emphasis on financial forecasting, cost-benefit analysis, revenue enhancement, capital improvement and budget development and control.
3. Considerable knowledge of modern policies and practices of Public Administration; working knowledge of municipal finance, human resources, public works, public safety and community development.
4. Must possess the ability to prepare and analyze comprehensive reports, to carry out assigned projects to their completion; to communicate effectively verbally and in writing; to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, city officials, intergovernmental entities and the public; ability to efficiently and effectively administer a municipal government.
5. Strong knowledge of Windows, MS Office required. BS&A knowledge preferred.
6. Must possess and maintain a valid State of Michigan Driver’s License.
Complete job description which includes qualification criteria available upon request.