This is a temporary assignment working initially up to 40 hours per week and not currently approved beyond a 12-month period. This position, under general direction of the City Administrator, provides analytical management assistance by planning, coordinating and leading programs, conducting research, and will take the lead on special projects as directed by the City Administrator. The position performs responsible administrative policy research, analyses and provides recommendations. The position is expected to perform the necessary analytical work associated with the task’s full project management.
Essential Functions: The following is intended only as illustrations of the type of work to be performed. Please note that this description is not intended to describe all the duties associated with this position and the City in its sole discretion reserves the right to modify the duties of the position.
1. Plans, organizes and coordinates various projects, programs and services involving diverse administrative operations; may administer or manage specific projects, programs and/or services; recommends and assists in implementing the improved administrative methods, procedures equipment and facilities.
2. Conducts research and analysis on a variety of programs and issues; prepares and coordinates program information with departmental input; as needed prepares briefings, reports and formulates recommendations and appropriate correspondence.
3. Assists in determining costs pertaining to a departmental service or program; conducts cost benefit analyses and coordinates with other organizations, municipalities and agencies as needed.
4. Where required, prepares grant applications and coordinates with Grant Manager on proposal preparation and administration including requests for proposals and analysis.
5. Confers with other departments, officials, consultants; may make presentations on assigned projects and programs.
6. Provides staff support to committees or other departments, as assigned.
7. May be assigned to assist in budget preparation and administration.
8. May be assigned to assist in various staff functions.
Competencies of Selected Candidate
1. Project Management Certification (preferred).
2. Strong verbal and written communication skills.
3. Demonstrated analytical skills
4. Incumbent must be skilled in the full Microsoft Office business suite to set up and use databases, spreadsheets, and specialized purchasing or project tracking software.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment: This job can operate in a professional office environment with over 50% of work done offsite or from home. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to effectively communicate and travel as required.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work: This is a temporary, non-permanent full-time position, and is not eligible for benefits. The hours of work and days are generally Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., however, some weekend or evening hours may be necessary.
Travel: Limited local travel may be required.
Education and Experience Minimum Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant field for the position responsibilities.
• Five (5) years of progressively responsible related experience; or a combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of this position may be considered.
• Valid driver’s license
Additional Information: This position description should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential functions and requirements of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification. Any essential function or requirement of this class will be evaluated as necessary should an incumbent/applicant be unable to perform the function or requirement due to a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Reasonable accommodation for the specific disability will be made for the incumbent/applicant when possible. The City of Hyattsville is an Equal Opportunity Employer without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, disability, political or union affiliation.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to complete and submit a City of Hyattsville employment application which is available online at www.hyattsville.org, a resume, cover letter and three professional references. Applications may also be picked up at the Hyattsville City Administrative Office, 4310 Gallatin Street, Hyattsville, Maryland, at the 3rd floor reception area, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.