The Human Resources Manager shall be an experienced, transformative, and dynamic leader who possesses the creativity and flexibility to function effectively as a leader and as a working manager. The ideal candidate shall be a seasoned human resource professional with vast experience working in the public sector. Communication is paramount in this role. Candidates must be an exceptionally strong verbal and written communicator who values the art of listening, encourages diversity of thought, viewpoints, and experiences, and possesses the utmost integrity and discretion to view issues objectively and find workable solutions. The successful candidate shall ensure the optimal use of department and organizational resources, assessing and developing safe work policies and practices, along with attracting and retaining the best talent available. Employee engagement will also be key in this role, with a strong focus on cultivating diversity, inclusion, equity, and access, as well as fostering extraordinary internal customer service amongst employees.
A key component of the Human Resources Manager role is to oversee the Citywide labor and employee relations program in Human Resources Department. This position will be knowledgeable in labor contracts management and interpretation, organizing and leading meet and confers and employee relations matters, and partner with leadership and labor attorney. The successful candidate will have excellent analytical, collaborative, project management and communication skills and have the ability to think well on their feet, as well as a high degree of emotional intelligence. Additionally, our ideal candidate brings excellent written and verbal communication skills. Candidates with direct experience negotiating in a public sector labor environment are highly encouraged to apply.
Desirable competencies for the Human Resources Manager shall include:
Results-Oriented: Able to translate ideas into concrete action; maintain a focus on results and outcomes; ability to build high-performing teams that hold themselves and staff accountable for their performance; pursue aggressive goals and work hard/smart to achieve them; and strive for results and success.
Adaptable & Forward-Thinking: Able to pivot and navigate through the “gray area”, while following human resources law; a “big picture” strategic, critical thinker and problem solver; provides/ implements creative solutions and provides direction by clearly and effectively setting courses of action; and flexible and open to ideas and feedback from others.
Talent Development: Provides guidance, opportunities, and motivation to develop and strengthen knowledge, skills, and competencies to improve employee’s capabilities; exemplifies an authentic and strong character with integrity; sets high expectations; inspires and motivates others; coaches and mentors a high performing team of employees.
Effective Communication: Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts. Maintains appropriate level of confidentially.
Leadership: Leads by example; demonstrates high ethical standards; remains visible and approachable and interacts with others on a regular basis; demonstrates a high level of conscientiousness; holds self and others accountable.
Collaborative & Inclusive: Develops effective relationships within the organization by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills. Embraces and encourages inclusion, equity, accessibility, and diversity; identifies, understands, monitors, and measures the needs of both internal and external customers; and having a healthy sense of humor and optimism is highly desirable.
Candidates will be required to complete a supplemental questionnaire. The Supplemental Questionnaire Evaluation is designed to measure the knowledge, skills and/or abilities in job-related areas which may include but not be limited to: experience working with databases, Microsoft Office suite, and diverse populations; strong verbal and written communication skills; working with sensitive client information and handling multiple deadlines or difficult situations in an efficient and professional manner.
Human Resources Manager Supplemental Questionnaire
Your responses to this supplemental questionnaire are an integral part of your examination and will be reviewed and evaluated based on the job requirements. Applicants may be rated based upon their responses to the supplemental questions. If rated, only those that are determined to be highly qualified will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process.
It is important that your responses be as complete and detailed as possible.
Failure to respond to this supplemental questionnaire and submit your responses by the application deadline will eliminate you from the examination process. This supplemental questionnaire and space for responses will be included as part of the online application.
1. Please provide additional information on how you meet the following minimum requirements (a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in public administration, human resources, or a related field, and five years of broad and increasingly responsible experience in human resources including two years of supervisory/management responsibility).
2. A key component of this position will be to manage and coordinate the Citywide labor and employee relations program. Describe your knowledge and/or experience in labor negotiations or meet and confer meetings. Include in your response your experience managing the process, setting deadlines, coordinating with union representative and City officials, participating at the negotiating table (and in what capacity), drafting and/or costing proposals, and participating in strategic negotiations meetings with the elected body and/or negotiating team. List the employers you performed such duties for and your job title at the time.
3. Describe your experience and level/scope of responsibility in administrative investigations regarding potential misconduct (e.g. harassment/hostile work environment). For each position where you have relevant experience. List the employers you performed such duties for and your job title at the time.
4. Describe your experience and level/scope of responsibility in reviewing policy, analyzing data, compiling information from automated systems, preparing management recommendations, presenting information and/or writing reports. Relevant experience would include performing such tasks both in support of other manager (e.g. City Manager or department heads) or for use at public meetings by an agency’s elected decision-making body (e.g. a Board of Directors or City Council). Additionally, upload a copy of a report where you had the sole responsibility for writing, performing the research/analysis, and making the recommendation on a human resources discipline.
5. Describe your experience in assisting supervisors in managing employee performance concerns, drafting performance management or disciplinary documents, and participating in a discipline or appeal process.
6. What additional training or continuing education (outside of degree programs) have you had in the last two-three years on Human Resources subjects?
7. Describe your experience in processing and responding to employee complaints or grievances.
8. Interview dates have been confirmed to be Wednesday, March 31, 2021. If selected for an interview are you are able to attend in person, Zoom or both.
9. If selected for an interview, what is your preferred times, select all that apply:
8:00 am - 9:00 am
9:00 am - 10:00 am
10:00 am - 11:00 am
11:00 am - 12:00 pm
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
†St. Helena Unrepresented Mid-Managers have agreed to a one-year 5% salary reduction which provide a 13-day budget reduction bank leave for Fiscal Year 2020-21, deferred compensation match has been suspended for FY 2020-21, and step increases have been suspended for FY 2020-21.