Full Salary Range: $54,217 - $81,326
Hiring Range: $54,217 - $61,000: Starting Salary Depending on Experience and Qualifications
First review of applications week of February 15, 2021
Under the direction of the Communications Administrator, the Public Information Officer will work to develop, implement and maintain an effective public information program; serve as the Town's spokesperson and primary media liaison; develop media releases, articles, talking points and fact sheets; assist with managing the Town’s online presence, including content development for social media platforms; and assist with other communications and marketing copy writing, collateral development, or related tasks as needed.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Serves as a member of the Communications Division, within the Department of the Town Manager.
• Coordinates with Communications Administrator to develop media releases, speaking points, fact sheets and speeches regarding Town programs, services, initiatives and events
• Develops and prepares reports, informational flyers, newsletters and articles for public information or for internal use.
• Provides copy writing and expert-level editorial review of Town/department documents, projects, notifications and presentations.
• In coordination with Communications Administrator, acts as Town's official spokesperson and media liaison.
• Communicates with assigned division/department personnel and other Town employees, the general public, the media, the community, civic organizations and business owners to disseminate accurate information and provide assistance.
• Coordinates and/or facilitates programs, public meetings and community events to provide information, garner public input and promote Town initiatives.
• Provides Town Council and Town management with support/information on issues of interest to the media.
• Makes public presentations and assists Council and Town staff in developing presentations.
• Facilitates speaking engagements for the Town Manager, Council and staff, and maintains relations with outside organizations such as chambers of commerce, boards and commissions, and neighborhood groups.
• In partnership with the digital content specialist, serves a primary role in the content management of the Town website; regularly updates content related to Mayor, Council and the Town Manager’s Office; provides guidance to department sub-web editors.
• Plans and develops content (including video and photos) for social media platforms and the Town's website to educate the community and other target audiences, and to promote various Town events, programs and initiatives.
• Provides photography services at various Town or community meetings and events, including post-event photo editing and archiving.
• When assigned to a department/division that requires emergency response, respond to scene as necessary and coordinate with appropriate personnel on information to release to media, public and internal staff.
• Available to respond via phone/email for after-hours emergencies, including communicating with Town Council and management, posting on social media sites, etc.
• Provides as-needed support/coverage for other roles/functions within the Town’s Communications Division.
• Regular and reliable attendance; works more than forty hours in a workweek without additional compensation to perform assigned job duties, including weekends, evenings, early morning hours, and holidays as required.
• Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of best practices of public relations, media relations, communications, promotional and marketing methods and techniques.
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Expert level writing and editing skills.
• Knowledge of Associated Press (AP) Style.
• Knowledge of and experience using major social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter.
• Ability to work with the media, write press releases and serve as media point-of-contact/spokesperson.
• Knowledge of newsletter, advertisement, brochure, press release development techniques.
• Skill in using computer software and applications related to photography, graphic design and social media.
• Ability to manage time and meet strict deadlines to complete projects and assignments.
• Four years of progressively responsible experience in communications, journalism, media or public relations; AND
• Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, public relations, public administration or a related field; OR
• An equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Valid driver’s license.