To view a complete position brochure, please go to our Executive Career Opportunities page located at:
First review of Resumes will take place on January 15th, 2021.
Interested applicant must apply by this date and send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com for consideration.
The Office of the City Manager
The City Manager’s Executive Team consists of Department Directors, one Deputy City Manager, five Assistant City Managers, a Chief Financial Officer and an Assistant to the City Manager. The daily business of City operations is the responsibility of the City Manager, the Chief Executive Officer, appointed by the Mayor and City Council. The City Manager prepares recommendations and implements the policy direction approved by the Mayor and City Council. The City Manager is responsible for the administration of City services by exercising effective leadership and management of the City.
This position is one of five (5) Assistant City Manager positions within the City and serves on the City Manager’s Executive Leadership Team. The Assistant City Manager exercises initiative and independent judgment in providing management oversight within an assigned area for the City Manager, and assists in the development, planning and implementation of the City’s goals and objectives.
The Assistant City Manager coordinates the services and activities of assigned departments with other City departments and outside agencies. Typically, an Assistant City Manager will be responsible for providing strategic direction to a portfolio of departments related to one or more City service areas to assist the City Manager in coordinating, engaging, monitoring and ensuring service delivery. City service areas and department assignments may rotate among Assistant City Managers periodically. The Assistant City Manager will work under direction from the City Manager, and exercises direct supervision over executive, management, professional, technical, and clerical staff.
Job Functions and Responsibility
• Provides highly responsible administrative staff assistance to the City Manager; and assists in developing, planning, and implementing goals and objectives for the City.
• Assumes full management responsibility for the services and activities of assigned departments; and recommends and administers policies and procedures.
• Manages the development and implementation of the assigned departments' goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for each assigned service area; establishes, within City policy, appropriate service and staffing levels; and allocates resources accordingly.
• Represents the City and the City Manager to management staff, elected officials, and outside agencies; explains, justifies, and defends the programs, policies, and activities; and negotiates and resolves sensitive, significant, and controversial issues.
• Plans, directs, and coordinates, through subordinate-level managers, the assigned departments' work plan; meets with management staff to identify and resolve problems; assigns projects and programmatic areas of responsibility; and reviews and evaluates work methods and procedures.
• Manages and participates in the development and administration of the City budget; directs the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; directs and approves expenditures; and directs the preparation and implementation of budgetary adjustments as necessary.
• Coordinates assigned departments' activities with those of other departments and outside agencies and organizations; provides staff assistance to the City Manager and City Council; and prepares and presents staff reports and other necessary communications.
• Meets and confers with residents and business interests to remedy problems and discuss City policies and procedures; responds to and resolves sensitive inquiries and complaints from both internal and external sources; and acts as City Manager as required.
Education and Experience
Qualified candidates will have a Master's Degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Public Administration, Business Administration, or a related field. They will also have ten (10) years progressively responsible experience in municipal government, including five (5) years of administrative or supervisory responsibility.
The most highly qualified candidates for consideration will be selected based on a combination of education, career experience, and accomplishments that best fits the needs of the City of San Antonio.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will be a skilled leader and manager with a proven track record of motivating and developing staff to obtain measurable results, and should be politically astute with the demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with staff, contractors, elected officials, and the public. The selected individual will have a proven record as an innovative leader, possessing excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external customers.
The selected candidate will have advanced leadership and management skills and a proven ability of leading teams of executive, managerial, and professional staff. The candidate will have a strong working knowledge of municipal budget forecasting, and a demonstrated history of identifying and responding to community and City Council issues, concerns and needs.
The City of San Antonio is offering a competitive salary commensurate with experience. The City offers generous benefits and retirement including annual and personal leave, monthly car allowance, deferred compensation plans, relocation/moving expenses and participation in the Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS).
How to Apply
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send cover letter, resume, references and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is open until filled. First review of resumes will occur on January 15th, 2021. Please submit your application as soon as possible to ensure you are considered for this position. Upon receipt, resumes will be screened in relation to the criteria outlined in this brochure. Candidates selected for interview will be contacted by the City of San Antonio’s
For additional information please contact:
Jeff Baldwin, Executive Recruiter
City of San Antonio
Human Resources Department
P.O. Box 839966
San Antonio, TX 78283
Phone: (210) 207-7939
Please note: Under the Texas Public Information Act, information from your resume may be subject to public disclosure.
The City of San Antonio is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.