The City of Topeka is seeking qualified candidates for a Public Works Director.
The Public Works Director is responsible for the overall administration, development and direction of public works programs including Facility Operations, Traffic Operations, Street Maintenance, Forestry and Fleet Services and reports directly to the City Manager.
Additional duties include:
• Plans, organizes, prioritizes, provides leadership and directs the broad scope of activities of the department; assures total operational effectiveness.
• Serves as the principal advisor to the City Manager, and other City officials regarding public works activities; confers as appropriate regarding Public Works policy, programs and activities.
• Interprets and enforces City Manager directives and administrative policy.
• Develops long-range strategic and master plans for department policies and programs, outlines program objectives and works with appropriate staff to implement plans. Oversees the preparation and implementation of plans Public Works projects.
• Prepares and presents the annual department budget; determines resource needs and financing requests; oversees department budgetary administration.
Minimum qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or closely related field, valid driver’s license (KS license by hire date); licensed professional engineer in the state of Kansas (or reciprocal) preferred and five (5) years managerial experience in the public works field; or any combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Entry annual salary range: $102,779 - $128,479, DOQ
The City of Topeka offers a comprehensive benefits package, including:
• Health/Dental Insurance
• Kansas Public Employee Retirement System which totals over 315,000 active, inactive and retired members and manages approximately $20 billion in assets for KPERS members' benefits.
• Generous paid vacation leave and separate paid sick leave, and one additional paid personal leave days each year.
• Paid Life/Long Term Disability Insurance
• (457) Deferred Comp Savings Plan
• Short-Term Disability Insurance
• Free Onsite Health & Wellness Clinic
• Free in-house Wellness Center, a full service fitness facility
• Free Parking
• Employee Assistance Program.
The City of Topeka is an Equal Opportunity Employer