The City of Johnson City, Tennessee is seeking an Assistant City Manager to join its Executive Leadership Team. This position has a wide array of responsibilities with oversight of a rotating portfolio in collaboration with their peer Assistant City Manager. The City is looking for candidates who will succeed in an organization that strives for a culture of excellence with accountability, continuous improvement, and communication among its core values. Candidates that are highly motivated innovative and results oriented with strong ethical standards and integrity are encouraged to apply. This position must be people focused, exhibit an exemplary customer service approach, and have a strong commitment to public service. Assigned departments and responsibilities will be determined based on the background and strength of the successful candidates and those of the existing management team.
The Assistant City Manager is appointed by and reports directly to the City Manager. The Assistant City Manager acts as an extension of the City Manager’s leadership, thus it is paramount that the working relationship with the City Manager be one of deep trust. Each will share their individual and candid insights, advice, and analysis while representing the City’s leadership model and values.
• Perform highly responsible managerial and administrative work in the coordination, organization, and direction of City programs and services.
• Assists the City Manager with core services, projects, budget and organizational issues, and concerns and priorities of the City Commission.
• Monitors and coordinates the activities of assigned departments by overseeing the development and administration of policies, procedures, programs, goals and objectives, and overseeing the progress of capital improvement projects.
• Plans and implements improved procedures, methods and systems to increase effectiveness and efficiency of City operations.
• Research, conduct, and oversee special projects at the direction of the Manager.
• Serve as liaison to other governmental agencies, university entities, neighborhoods, and community groups. Serve as acting City Manager in his/her absence.
• Organize, set priorities, and exercise sound independent judgment within areas of responsibility.
• Must foster innovation, critical thinking, and creativity in developing new approaches and solutions to meet the demands of a growing and vibrant City.
• Participates with departments and community partners in the growth and development plans of the City to ensure current/future availability of appropriate resources to meet growth demands and to ensure provision of optimum services.
• Analyzes the needs of the community in relation to the service provided by the divisions; makes recommendations for changes when applicable.
• Represents the City Manager as a member of or liaison to city boards and commissions.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, municipal officials and the public.
Acceptable Education and Experience:
Master's degree in public administration, business administration, or a related field with a minimum of five to seven years of progressively responsible local government management experience.
Successful candidate is required to reside within the city limits of Johnson City within one (1) year of hire date.
Johnson City, the largest city in the Northeast Tennessee region, is a growing municipality with a diverse base of residential and business communities. The City has approximately 67,000 residents, employs over 950 full and part-time staff and has a total FY 2020-21 budget of approximately $238 million. Johnson City is a full service city providing public works, public safety, parks and recreation, planning, transit/school transportation, water, wastewater, and solid waste services. Johnson City is the home of East Tennessee State University, which has a current enrollment of approximately 15,000 students. The City operates under the Commission-Manager form of government with a City Manager appointed by a five-member City Commission.