General Definition of Work
Under direction from the Deputy Town Manager or designee, the Director of Emergency Management plans and directs emergency management response or crisis management activities; ensures essential personnel training requirements are met; and prepares emergency plans and procedures for natural disasters, man-made disasters, pandemics, mass casualty incidents and/or other declared states of emergency. Position is responsible for the implementation of the Town’s Emergency Management Plan and associated annexes, Continuity of Operations Plan and all other policies and procedures associated with operations before, during and after an emergency. The Emergency Manager is expected to continually research and apply incident response best management practices and to keep Town leadership advised of recommended modifications to existing emergency response plans, programs, and directives. Also performs duties as the Town’s Risk Manager, assessing workplace safety, providing training, and contributing to policy decisions furthering a safe and healthy work environment.
The following functions are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
• Direct Emergency Management operations leading up to and during active states of emergency or other emergency conditions as required.
• Assess Town of Bluffton current Emergency Management records and develop an annual plan for all staff to include training, tabletop exercises and other similar programs to ensure proper plans are in place.
• Evaluate all emergency plans and associated annexes for the Town and annually assess each Department; update plans, annexes and other procedures as needed.
• Periodically review Town of Bluffton Code of Ordinances to ensure they remain calibrated with the South Carolina Code of Laws and all other applicable regulatory requirements; propose amendments as needed to best support Emergency Management best practices.
• Conduct quality assurance reviews for all aspects of Emergency Management and submit quarterly program status reports to Town Manager regarding assessments, recommendations, and action items.
• Initiate activities and work with applicable Town Staff, e.g., the public information officer and social media manager, to ensure the public, key stakeholders and strategic partners remain informed regarding disaster preparedness, response, and available public assistance.
• Conduct training assessments; recommend requirements; develop, schedule, obtain approval for, and oversee Emergency Management training for all Town Staff.
• Design, implement, and evaluate Emergency Management training exercises.
• Record and maintain documentation of training and exercises.
• Ensure all essential personnel are identified and maintain a roster of the same by liaisons with human resources and department directors as needed to always have a current essential personnel roster.
• Identify personnel required to staff the Municipal Emergency Operations Center (MEOC) and ensure identified staff are properly trained and equipped to perform their emergency-related duties.
• Advise Town Manager when activation of the MEOC is necessary and when the MEOC can be deactivated.
• Establish MEOC work schedules, as needed, to support imminent or active emergencies.
• Coordinate with external agencies as needed to maintain relationships essential to interagency support and regional disaster response activities.
• Coordinate and manage reviews and updates of the Town's Emergency Management Plan and associated annexes.
• Develop Incident Action Plans for Special Events.
• Advise and assist Town leadership and staff on the interpretation of state and federal requirements, issues, and budget for Emergency Management planning and operations.
• Maintain accurate records during emergencies to include but not limited to expenses, equipment accounts, lessons learned and other necessary information.
• Prepare after action reports and improvement plans.
• Supervise any employees permanently assigned to the Emergency Management function.
• Remain available for 24-hour on-call response to serve as the Emergency Manager Operations Officer and related duties during an emergency or pre-planned event.
• Make presentations to Town Senior Staff, Town Council and others as needed to support Emergency Management program goals and objectives.
• Performs all emergency or disaster-related duties as assigned.
• Conduct workplace safety assessments, including policies, practices, and procedures, to define and analyze possible personnel risks.
• Defines solutions to mitigate identified risks and assists in their implementation.
• Provides training to all Town employees regarding Town policies and procedures with the objective of maximizing safety in the workplace.
• Provides counsel to management on a broad range of risk management issues.
• Performs other duties as apparent or assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of principles and practices of leadership, motivation, team building and conflict resolution.
• Ability to supervise and lead a team of engineers and professionals to meet desired results.
• Must be able to read and interpret public law sources, e.g., state code, municipal code of ordinances, regulatory guidance to apply them to Emergency Management operations and procedures.
• Strong project and contract management abilities.
• Ability to analyze and interpret technical, financial and statistical information.
• Ability to interpret and apply federal, state, local and department policies, procedures, laws and regulations.
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, employees, officials, other governmental agencies, Town stakeholders and the public.
• General knowledge of federal and state labor laws and safety regulations administered by the Department of Labor, the Organizational Health and Safety Administration and the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Disaster Preparation, Emergency Management, Homeland Security, Public Administration, or an equivalent course of study is required.
• Master’s Degree in Disaster Preparation, Emergency Management, Homeland Security, Public Administration, or an equivalent course of study is preferred.
• Six or more years of management experience in the public sector preferred.
• Certified Emergency Manager designation preferred.
• Completion of basic and advanced Federal Emergency Management Agency National Incident Management System course preferred; completion of the same will be expected within six months of hire.
This work requires the occasional exertion of up to 50 pounds of force; work regularly requires speaking or hearing, using hands to finger, handle or feel, reaching with hands and arms and repetitive motions, frequently sitting and occasionally requires standing, walking, climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, pushing or pulling and lifting; work has no special vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly or quickly; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, using of measuring devices, operating machines, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work frequently requires exposure to outdoor weather conditions and occasionally requires exposure to fumes or airborne particles and exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office with typewriters and/or computer printers, light traffic).
Possession of an appropriate driver's license valid in the State of South Carolina.
Salary is negotiable based on experience. EOE. We offer excellent benefits and a great place to work.