Full Salary Range: $99,258 - $148,886
Starting Salary Range Depending on Experience: $99,258 - $124,072
Directs, coordinates, and administers the divisions and functions of the Community and Economic Development department: Economic Development, Planning, Permitting, and Inspection & Compliance. Responsible for ensuring harmonious growth as well as the health, safety, and welfare of the public in the built environment. Provides leadership as a member of the Town's executive team on an organization-wide and community basis to ensure that public services are established and provided in alignment with the Town's General Plan, Strategic Leadership Plan objectives, and other plans and documents that guide the future development of the town.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Develops, manages and implements the economic development strategy for the Town, to include the Town's short and long range planning, and general plan development; manages continuing efforts in community development strategies, including fostering external partnerships to further the town's economic development goals.
• Evaluates, identifies and promotes model community and business/economic development projects for attraction and retention.
• Conducts periodic economic impact analyses to support Town economic development and planning activities and actions.
• Meets with business representatives and community stakeholders to determine overall growth and development needs and goals.
• Collaboratively and cooperatively works with the Mayor, Councilmembers, Town Manager, department directors and other senior managers to analyze organization and community needs, and takes action in response to those needs.
• Stays informed of new trends and innovations in the fields of economic development, redevelopment and community development while maintaining professional knowledge.
• Develops strategic partnerships with community representatives, external agencies, and other organizations to develop a sense of the relevant issues facing the community.
• Effectively collaborates with other Town departments on development, redevelopment, planning, ordinance and policy projects.
• Exercises oversight authority and broad discretionary judgment to manage all facets of economic development, planning and zoning, permitting, code compliance, and inspection of all horizontal and vertical construction and infrastructure elements within the Town of Oro Valley.
• Coordinates with local for-profit and non-profit groups, real estate organizations and other stakeholders to develop collaborative ventures, solve problems, and identify opportunities for improvements as well as community economic vitality.
• Manages a comprehensive plan review and field inspection process for residential and business construction activities, and seeks to identify and implement efficiencies that result in staff and organizational effectiveness.
• Leads and manages department in providing excellent customer service and participation in the Peak Performance (process improvement) initiatives.
• Directs the development and administration of budgets, policies, projects and programs of the department, ensuring compliance to local, state, and federal regulations.
• Interfaces and works with historical preservation entities, federally mandated environmental protection programs, architectural review process, and boards and commissions to oversee the establishment of appropriate zoning and the issuance of permits.
• Attends and presents to Town Council, neighborhood and community groups; visits commercial and residential field sites with staff, applicants, partners and prospective new employers.
• Coordinates the development of agendas and packet materials for meetings and the delivery to the appropriate parties.
• Other duties as assigned by the Town Manager or Assistant Town Manager.
• Regular and reliable attendance; works more than forty hours in a workweek without additional compensation to perform assigned job duties, including weekends, evenings, early morning hours, and holidays as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of Town and department policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of economic development theories and practices.
• Knowledge of applicable municipal, state and federal standards, rules, ordinances, codes and regulations governing planning, zoning, building codes and building safety.
• Knowledge of development review and planning processes.
• Knowledge of structural design and construction practices.
• Skill in process improvement techniques and practices.
• Skill in data analysis, to include development of complex real estate and economic development agreements.
• Skill in reading and interpreting building plans and specifications.
• Skill in making effective public presentations.
• Ability to develop effective and collaborative relationships with outside public, non-profit and private partners.
• Ability to perform a broad range of supervisory responsibility over others.
• Ability to effectively delegate.
• Ability to complete projects and assignments within deadlines.
• Ability to negotiate complex agreements.
• Ability to assess, analyze, identify, develop, and implement solutions to complex problems.
• Ability to communicate effectively with customers, clients, staff, and the public; skilled in written and verbal communication.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
• Ability to take initiative; oversee and complete work with limited supervision, while keeping the Town Manager well-informed.
• A Bachelor's Degree in Economic Development, Business Administration, Planning, Public Administration or related field.
• Plus ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in the strategic leadership and management of the economic development, planning, municipal administration and operations, or related work. Minimum of five (5) years of supervisory experience at a division or department head level.
• Master's degree is preferred. Master’s degree may be substituted for two (2) years of experience.
• Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) highly desired but not required.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS and WORKING CONDITIONS:
• Work is performed in indoor and outdoor environments.