Summary: Under the general supervision of the City Manager, this position will be responsible for providing critical executive and administrative support to the City Manager’s Office (CMO) and will be assigned one or more areas of responsibility such as Municipal Airport, Public Information Officer, Legislative Affairs, and Intergovernmental Relations. Incumbents will complete complex research projects and legislative review analysis, evaluate and propose amendments to operational and administrative processes, and coordinate public relations activities and communication strategies for the City.
Essential Job Functions: The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only to provide a summary of the major duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
EXAMPLES OF THE WORK PERFORMED (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
• Oversees City branding and messaging.
• Responsible for the day-to-day operations of the City’s communications initiatives. Develops and implements communication strategies.
• Develops, implements, and maintains an effective public information program and coordinates public relations activities for City Council and City departments.
• Assists and counsels elected officials and department heads concerning public relations aspects of policies, practices, procedures, programs, and actions.
• Facilitates broadcast and telephone interviews with the media as well as responses to email inquiries.
• Proactively promotes City accomplishments and activities through press releases, social media, and other means.
• Provides professional-level research, oversight of project teams, and both written and oral reports to the City Manager’s Office.
• Frequently interacts with the City of Eloy’s Leadership Team, City Manager’s staff, elected officials, and external public and private agencies. Regularly interacts with City staff, and interacts with the media and citizens of the community.
• Participates in meetings with external agencies, elected officials, private industries, or citizen commissions and boards, and represents the City’s interests on behalf of the City Manager’s Office.
• Acts as communication and policy liaison between the City of Eloy, City Council, and external agencies or organizations.
• Conducts a variety of complex, independent research projects to assist the City Manager’s office with executive, legislative, and administrative review.
• Interprets data gathered from research and converts data into useful information. Using synthesized information, prepares presentations, letters, memorandums, statistical reports, manuals, and other documents.
• Recommends policy, procedure, organizational, administrative, and operational process modifications.
• Writes, formats and proofreads sensitive or complex correspondence, speeches, press releases, guest columns, reports, proclamations, and certificates of recognition or other documents for the CMO, Mayor, and City Council.
• Responds to a wide-variety of inquiries from internal and external customers. Topics may include confidential or sensitive subject matter or materials and must be approached methodically with care and discretion.
• Prepares presentations and conducts information sessions for internal and external customers on a variety of topics, requiring thorough understanding of the subject matter to act as a resource.
• Assists with administrative and constituent services support
• May respond to citizen requests for information and resolve citizen concerns and complaints.
• Provides technical and administrative support to City Manager’s office, including managing scheduling, calendaring, document preparation, copying, mailing, and maintaining city website and other administrative tasks.
• Monitors social media and listens to identify issues and answer questions;
• Assists with digital content creation and conducts social media outreach to residents;
• Designs graphic elements and infographics for social media posts and presentations;
• Responsible for proper and timely processing of time sheets, payroll, purchase orders, budget preparation, or any other procedural forms required by other departments or divisions.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule that may include evenings, weekends, or holidays.
• Coordinates ongoing legislative relationships and strategic direction, including monitoring hearings, preparing materials, conducting research, advancing the City’s legislative agenda, and representing the City, as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Public Administration, Public Relations, Communications or related field.
• Three years of experience working in municipal government or another public-sector, or quasi-public agency or public relations firm.
• Successful completion of municipal intern program, or previous related work experience.
• Or any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the above Minimum Requirements.
• Must possess, or obtain upon employment, a valid Arizona driver’s license.
• Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
• Thorough knowledge of public administration management principals and procedures.
• Ability to coherently examine and interpret Local, State, and Federal laws, regulations, and policies.
• In-depth knowledge of research methods and techniques, and the ability to conduct thorough, independent analysis.
• Skill in developing and maintaining relations with executive management, elected officials, other public agencies, City of Eloy employees, and the general public.
• Ability to interpret data gathered, convert data into useful information, and clearly articulate information both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to create comprehensive reports and presentations using information obtained through research and analysis.
• Ability to conduct presentations to a wide-variety of audiences, including elected officials, other public agencies, private industries, and citizens of the community.
• Ability to maintain high-level of confidentiality of information prepared, shared, or discussed during the course of employment with the City of Eloy.
• Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Office, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook), and the ability to rapidly learn new hardware and software platforms.
• Knowledge of business writing practices and techniques. Skill in creating professional reports, using proper English grammar, spelling, and citation principals.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and meet project deadlines, while providing high-quality work.
• Ability to collaborate on intergovernmental projects and proposals with other public agencies.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk or hear; regularly required to use hands to finger/handle/feel; and occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.