**COMPLETED APPLICATIONS WILL BE REVIEWED NO LATER THAN MARCH 1, 2020**
The purpose of this job is to perform complex administrative, professional, and supervisory work managing the Emergency Medical Services Division, and oversee and ensure the compliance of the Durham County Emergency Medical Services System.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The functions listed below are those that represent the majority of the time spent working in this position. Management may assign additional functions related to the type of work of the position as necessary.
- Supervises, directs, and evaluates assigned staff, processing employee concerns and problems, directing work, counseling, disciplining, and completing employee performance appraisals.
- Coordinates, assigns and reviews work and establishes work schedules; maintains standards; monitors status of work in progress; inspects completed work assignments; answers questions; gives advice and direction as needed.
- Provides leadership and direction to emergency medical personnel and support staff engaged in providing quality pre-hospital care to patients.
- Oversees Durham County’s Emergency Medical Services System which includes the responsibility for maintaining overall system compliance, completing activities required by regulatory ordinances and obtaining system plan approval from the NC Office of EMS.
- Leads, plans, and implements expertly Durham’s Office of Emergency Services implementation plan under the direction of the Emergency Services Director to foster and maintain a high performing and efficient organization.
- Develops and implements division goals and objectives that are congruent with the mission and vision of Durham County Government and the County’s Strategic Plan.
- Researches, analyzes and implements best practices that achieve greater outcomes for the organization and its patients.
Pursues and encourages innovation that propels the organization forward.
- Interfaces and liaises effectively with the Durham County EMS System Medical Director.
- Prepares and oversees the division’s ’s annual budget including determining fiscal requirements and making budgetary recommendations; ensures that billing, collection and purchasing functions are completed according to governing guidelines and makes recommendations on capital needs for the EMS system.
- Ensures that departmental procedures are HIPAA compliant and access to public health information is protected.
- Maintains comprehensive knowledge of applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures, awareness of techniques, equipment, medication and trends.
- Collaborates with other officials, partners and colleagues to foster and maintain productive working relationships and effectively communicates the Emergency Services vision to the public and partners.
- Performs related duties as assigned including serving as acting Emergency Services Director as needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Emergency Medical Services (EMS), Health Care, Emergency Management, or related field, supplemented by five (5) years of emergency medical care management experience or supervisory experience at the EMS Operations Manager/Supervisor level or higher; or possession of any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities.
SPECIAL CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES
- Must complete North Carolina State EMS Paramedic training program.
- Must complete EMS Management Institute.
- Must complete National Incident Management System’s (NIMS) Incident Command System courses.
- Must possess and maintain a valid state Driver’s License with an acceptable driving record.