ICMA has a long tradition of relying on the regional nominations process to identify a single nominee from among multiple candidates in a region. Historically, there has been a preference for relying on this process instead of having a competitive election ballot with active campaigning. However, should a member choose to campaign, he or she must follow these guidelines:
- It is inappropriate to use public resources to conduct a campaign.
- Campaigning at the annual conference is restricted. It is inappropriate to circulate petitions or campaign material or to use hospitality suites for campaign purposes.
- It is inappropriate for members to contact regional nominating committee members individually.
- Candidates will not use ICMA social media channels or member communications such ICMA Connect or LinkedIn, for campaigning.
- ICMA will make mailing labels available for campaigns at an at-cost rate and will provide the option of email communication for the same fee. A sample of the campaign material must be provided ahead of time and no more than two communications may be sent. Staff will provide technical guidelines for the process of sending the emails.
- ICMA committees and task forces are not to endorse candidates for the board.
- Candidates in a contested election are offered the option of submitting candidate statements of no more than 200 words for the online voting system. Since biographical information is already provided, candidates are urged to focus their remarks on how their experience relates to their proposed service on the board, what they would bring to the board that is unique, and their plans if elected. The statement should not mention any current or former ICMA member or other nominees from the region. ICMA staff may edit for grammar, punctuation, spelling, or length.
U.S. candidates: If you have questions about the nominations process in your region, contact state your state association or your regional director. Use the State Leadership / Liaison Directory.
International candidates, contact ICMA staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For general inquiries about the nominations or election process, contact ICMA staff at email@example.com.