There is a difference between simply being on social media and being engaging on in social media. The latter gives local governments the ability to communicate and connect with citizens while building a cohesive community.
In honor of #SocialMediaDay, ICMA has gathered 8 resources to help you master effective engagement on social media.
- Learn from an expert. Citizen Engagement Officer, Timothy Martin, teaches you How to Engage Your Community with Social Media in this interview.
- Get the Ebook. The Playbook: Social Media and Local Government provides tips, strategies, examples, and best practices help you use social media to communicate with constituents efficiently and effectively.
- The Innovation Labs bring results from workshops conducted and share the emerging practices in civic engagement
- Become familiar with utilizing Instagram with the article Unfiltered: Issaquah and Instagram
- Check out the #WeLoveWeHo “selfie wall” at West Hollywood City Hall, designed encourage residents and visitors to create digital posts to share on social media.
- Find out how the city of Austin enhanced crisis communications using social media in this success story
- Read how social media can be beneficial in a disaster with 4 Tools That Will Help Your Citizens Communicate During a Hurricane
- This ICMA Research Survey examining innovations and emerging practices in Local Government reported that 64.4% identified social media as one of the most successful citizen engagement tools.
While we are on the subject of social media... stay connected and follow ICMA on: