ICMA invites you to consider the unique background and perspective that you can bring to the association as a board member. ICMA’s Regional Vice Presidents play a critical leadership role within the local government management profession, represent members in their geographic region, and serve three-year terms.
Key Dates: 2021-2022 Nominations and Election Process
Week of October 26, 2021: Call for candidate nominations opens. Members eligible to serve the 2022-2025 term in their region are notified of their eligibility by email and invited to apply for ICMA Executive Board service.
January 14, 2022: Deadline for candidates to submit their materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
March-April 2022: Regional Nominating Committees in each region (Midwest, Mountain Plains, Northeast, Southeast, West Coast, International) convene virtually to interview candidates and select one nominee to appear as the region's recommended candidate on ICMA’s annual election ballot for consideration by the membership.
April 26, 2022: Annual election ballot opens to the membership. Voting begins.
May 27, 2022: Ballot closes. Voting ends.
Eligibility to Serve the 2022-2025 Term
An ICMA Corporate member must be serving in a full-time, appointed position to a local government in order to serve on the ICMA Executive Board. Eligibility for executive board service and the ICMA nominations and election process for Regional Vice Presidents are governed by the ICMA Constitution, Board Guidelines, and Regional Nominating Agreements. The geographical protocols contained in the regional nominating agreements provide the opportunity for all states, countries, and position types to be represented on the executive board. The geographical and position type rotation change each year and the requirements vary by region.
Apply by January 14, 2022
Candidates must submit the following items to email@example.com by January 14, 2022, in order to be considered by a Regional Nominating Committee.
- A statement of qualifications for board service and view of the issues facing ICMA. Two-page limit.
- Current resume.
- A list of any contributions made to ICMA and state association, country association, or affiliate organizations, such as service on a committee, board, etc.
- Thoughtful letters of support from members or letters of endorsement from state or affiliate associations that can aid the Regional Nominating Committee in understanding a candidate’s qualities, achievements, and potential contributions to the board. (Optional, but recommended.)
Note: A petition should only be submitted if a candidate wants to have the option to appear on the 2022 annual election ballot if they are not selected by the Regional Nominating Committee as the recommended nominee for the region.
Connect with Us
- Members interested in pursuing this leadership opportunity are strongly encouraged to connect with their ICMA regional director or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For general inquiries about this process, contact ICMA staff at email@example.com.
- For questions about membership status, contact ICMA staff at firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn more about the eligibility requirements for your region, the role and expectations of board service, the nominations and election process, and the 2021-2022 schedule by visiting icma.org/BoardNominations. It is never too early to start thinking about ICMA Executive Board service!